Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Turning on part planes in an assemly

_4271_4271 Member Posts: 1
Perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way, but I'd like to use an existing plane in a part to create a section view within an assembly. Ideally I'd like to turn on a parts plane in assemly studio, so that I can select it to use as a viewing section. Does that make sense? I know it's often not a problem and you can drag and rotate from planar faces. But sometimes a lot of work has gone into creating a plane in an organic shape and it would be great to just pick that plane to section the assembly.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• stanneedlestanneedle Member Posts: 2
    Inserting a surface seems to be no longer an option.   I have only revolved parts, and the mates only show planes that are perpendicular to my central axis.  I can't seem to make a section view along the axis.
  • IsoworksIsoworks Member Posts: 22 PRO
    Well this doesn't seem to work there is no "third choice" in the insert area - parts or sketches. 

Frustrated.
  • paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    From that I infer that your document doesn't have any surfaces in it. If you share a link to your document someone may be able to offer more specific advice. Note that the default planes are not surfaces.

For example, here is what I see when I only have parts (no filters):

Here is what I see if I have both solids and surfaces (the filters appear):

And if I go to all surfaces then the filter again disappears. 

And here's an assembly with a surface inserted:

Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Dropping in here because no one has mentioned how to actually make these surfaces in the Part Studio.

The easiest way to make a surface representing any plane in your part studio is to make a rectangular sketch on the plane in question and then do an "Offset surface" of that sketch rectangle with an Offset value of 0.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/offset_surface.htm
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    And if all you have is a plane with no solid/surface geometry to Offset, use that plane to create a dummy sketch that can be imported to the assembly. That sketch can be used to create a section. A surface will work, too, but AFAIK there is no way to directly create a surface on a plane that is simpler than just creating a single sketch. 

• mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    edited March 2018
    Dropping in on two more options that I like using: 

Mate Connectors come in from the part studios which make snapping parts together really easy.  https://learn.onshape.com/learn/article/advanced-mating-techniques

Also inserting sketches from the part studio is really a useful technique for layout modeling as Mahir mentions .  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvu9763-2I4 
    Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD