Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What Counts as a "Commercial Use"?

I found out about Onshape when I wanted to design a puzzle for a school project and my highschool did not offer a good Solidworks like CAD software which is almost imperative for designing twisty puzzles. I immediately signed up for an educational liscence as I could not afford the full version and I was using it for a school project. As I got further into designing puzzles I realized I could upload and sell my designs on website like I.Materialise and Shapeways and make some money along with my newfound hobby. I would purchase the full version of Onshape but I don't have enough money as I am just getting into college next year and selling puzzles probably wont provide enough money for me to be able to pay for it. I was wondering, since I don't plan on patenting many designs or producing them at a large scale, if it still counts as a "Commercial Use" of Onshape and if I am allowed to sell my puzzles this way.

Comments

• Options
    noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    @david_sammond commercial use is any use that results in you making money off of the designs. The scenario you described above would be considered commercial use.

Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Are those of us on the Free Plan also prohibited from commercial use?
  • Options
    noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    @michael3424 these terms are specific to the Education plan and are accepted by Education Plan users upon signup and annual renewal. For Onshape's generic terms, which all plans must follow, please see here: https://www.onshape.com/terms-of-use
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @noa - near as I can tell free plan users can use Onshape commercially, though all of their designs are automatically public domain.

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,896 PRO
    Right, you pay for privacy.

EDU pays less for the same privacy as PRO, so they are restricted from commercial use to prevent everyone from just buying the cheaper EDU licence.

At least they don't to what Solidworks does, and put a big watermark over every drawing... (or maybe they do, not sure, i'm not EDU :smile: )
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    At least they don't to what Solidworks does, and put a big watermark over every drawing... (or maybe they do, not sure, i'm not EDU :smile:)
    @john_mcclary
    No, they don't do any watermarks on created drawings :)
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    paweł_kucmuspaweł_kucmus Member Posts: 8 PRO
    @noa I tried reaching out 3 times (through the chat and contact form) and I seem to be unable to have my question answered.
    I'm working on (another) open source project. There's a company willing to pay me a royalty fee for every sold piece they produce. Can I use Onshape Free in that case or do I need at least the Standard plan. Again the design will be free and open source for all - I am to get a cut from the production of it.

Please, I hope you can help - I'm struggling with Fusion360 - it does not hold a candle to Onshape. I have 8 days before I'll be forced to buy it (as I can afford it but not Onshape :( ). Already spent money on a Windows license and a hard drive to even try it out (where I can use Onshape on my Linux).

I am a software developer and making those open source designs is just a hobby (that consumes money, which I would gladly take back in those royalty fees - it wont even be much (probably wont even cover a Fusion360 license but would at least cover a part of the expenses).

I hope to hear from you. Thank you!