Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Exchange Circle for Ellipsis in early Sketch, keep References Valid?

dario_ernstdario_ernst Member Posts: 4
Hi Everyone,

… and happy easter :-).

I’m currently revising a design for a part that wouldn’t fit when 3D-Printed. At the very beginning of the design, i have a sketch which includes a circle-segment. This circle-segment is used/projected onto other pieces of the part multiple times, and then offsettet, referenced, extruded — worked with.

Now, my bad luck is that the circle-segment in reality turned out to be a ellipsis-segment. When i simply delete the circle, and place an ellipsis there, the „first level“ of extrusions still work fine — but of course the sketches that used/projected this drawing-element have invalid references now.

Is there a way to either tell OnShape that this-sketchelement-replaces-that-sketchelement — or to somehow else ease the pain? I’d really prefer not to having go through all the layers of sketches that turn invalid upon deleting/replacing the circle.

I guess this question kind of extends into general best practice: What can i do to make replacing parts of deep-down-geometry with other geometry less pain, and how do i design further-up-sketches such that they still stay valid upon such a deep-down-fixup?

Thanks for reading … really looking forward to some ideas ^_^.
Best!
Dario

Best Answer

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Answer ✓
    Dario - The short answer is no.
    In this situation however, i find that usually (at worst) i only have to replace one set of references and that the 'cascade' effect is very limited. There are some systems that have tools that (sometimes) work to effect this replacement but i find the manual approach to be very low effort.

If you would like a specific tool, please feel free to create or vote on the idea in the Improvement Request section of the forum.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Answer ✓
    Dario - The short answer is no.
    In this situation however, i find that usually (at worst) i only have to replace one set of references and that the 'cascade' effect is very limited. There are some systems that have tools that (sometimes) work to effect this replacement but i find the manual approach to be very low effort.

If you would like a specific tool, please feel free to create or vote on the idea in the Improvement Request section of the forum.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape