Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Probleme on a Specific Mates

patrick_farleypatrick_farley Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
Hi, i have trouble making a specific Mates.
i got to tube 90 inch long that will be fix later on with side plate. So i don't have to have the pipe exactly cut the the perfect length
i can't find a way to fixe the second pipe.
i got a ball mate at the far end joinning the two pipe together but as soon that i try to add a second mate, everything failed.

Thanks
hope i am clear enough

Patrick Farley

Best Answer

• patrick_farleypatrick_farley Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Ok i finally nailed it 
    i had to create a fake piece and make a sketch from one face of it.
    it works.

Thanks for your help

Pat Farley

Answers

• michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Hello Patrick,

Can you share a link to the document so the forum users can inspect the situation? It's difficult to understand the exact problem without seeing the full picture.
    You use the term "fix" when referring to 2 parts. Try to use "group" to hold them together and set a ball mate or other mate at the origin tied to one part so you lock something in space, but allow some degrees of freedom to test the motion. I think you are fixing parts in space that are blocking the movement you are looking for.
    edited April 2018
    Thanks,
    i cannot "fix them" with group as they are not where i want them yet, i need to align them to have a perfect match before.
    i don't know how to align part other then using mate.
    i need the pole to be align to the top of the square tube.
    i also need it to be align left and right, but there is no point that touch both part.
    my part are like a triangle. right now i have 2 out of the 3 corner that are mate. but the third one does not touch each other and this is what i want, but align

EDIT: Sorry the fix in my first comment was refering to putting two metal plate on the side of each tube and rivet them

Thanks for your suggestion and help.

here is a link to my part

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2ad8d2ddf9b883a4a22141b7/w/f2b8c3a6aaf6f1666d1c7165/e/0cd12af6eaed4c23ff434f9b

Since there doesn't look to be any motion between the parts and they share common geometry, I would model them in one part studio together, then bring them into a assembly then group them together
    Thanks,
    You are right about no moving part. So i can indeed put them in one part studio.
    I don't have to do mate anymore.
    But now i still have an issue, how to draw the third part in an angle in relation of the other.
    i will try to make a plane from the end of my other pipe, but it need to be in an angle.
    i will search to try to find how to do this, and close this question as soon as i have found a way

Thanks for your help.

Answer ✓
    Ok i finally nailed it 
    i had to create a fake piece and make a sketch from one face of it.
    it works.

Thanks for your help

Pat Farley

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @patrick_farley

you could also make a plane (line angle) to sketch on
    www.accuratepattern.com