Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Help with simple sheet metal needed

rachel_ardenrachel_arden Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
So I'm working my way through the sheet metal help, and videos and thought while I did I would post my problem up here. 

I've not worked with sheet metal models in any cad package and need a simple part which has a bit in the middle bent up. 

This is the desired shape (sans bends):
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0aa40800cd63f8ebf857817b/w/7673badb56f6f93ed6ee1633/e/c46e994431ad1a187016ff36 

Try as I might with the sheet metal model tool I cannot work out a way to convert this into an actual sheet metal part. 

The important details are the bit in the middle must be 10mm across, and the inner bend needs have a 2mm rad or less. 
I know I need gaps around the cuts but dont know to add them, do I have to put in an approximate cut before I try and convert it? 

Please help, I know there must be a straightforward way to do this but I just don't know enough about sheet metal, onshape or otherwise, to see it.
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• rachel_ardenrachel_arden Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    @NeilCooke, when I do that there's a pop up saying 'collision in sheet metal flat pattern', is it okay to ignore that?
    New question, how do I fix my settings? When I make the flange this is what I get: 

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Yes, actually that is correct since there is no gap to punch or laser cut the sides of the flange before bending. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Sorry to be slow about this, but I really am at sheet metal 101 or a lower level of knowledge. I get you mean that it is technically correct in what the processes are telling it to do, but it's still not giving me the correct model I need; what I need for it to be correct it a working sheet metal model and flat pattern I can send off to be made. So I need the bend (which I know have, thanks to you!) and I need a gap to punch or laser cut the sides of the flange, since this needs to manufactured by one of those methods. 

How do I get a gap on the model? This goes back to the top query, do I add the gaps in before converting the model to sheet metal or is there a tool to do it automatically? The bend relief tool, from what the help says, seems to be about editing bend relief already in there, so how do I put on in? (Or alternatively, what do I select with the tool to get it too work, as I've tried the inside edges of the flat bit, the outside edges of the cut out) 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    @lana will be with you shortly :)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @rachel_arden

That's the expected behavior of doing a flange on that edge.  The easiest way to  correct the situation is to do that flange and then use the "Move face" feature on the two side faces of that flange, moving them in by whatever small offset you desire.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Thank you both!