Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

CAD De-feature for CAE

darren_13darren_13 Member, Developers Posts: 118 ✭✭
I use OnShape for most of my geometry creation, however when it comes to modifying other peoples geometry to de-feature, simplify and modify, unfortunately I have had to regularly use other CAD softwares. It would be really great to see some of the following features:

• Remove holes smaller than 'x' in diameter/radius (input) optionally from solid (selection)
  • Remove details (rivet heads, embosses etc.) from face (selection)
  • Merge faces when area is smaller than 'x' (input) optionally from solid (selection)
  • Delete parts with volumes smaller than 'x' (input) (possibly a quick fix in featurescript script)
  • Push a surface out. An example of this is having a complex part with pipes or wires in the same part, pushing the surface of the wire or pipe to remove the feature would make a complex job of splitting and deleting efforless.
  • Fill small gaps (like edges coming very close with cylinders parallel to the edge)
  • Convert STL to solid. STL's are a pain to work with, however, for some reason they are impossible to get away from, especially if working with openFOAM (an open source CFD software), being able to open them, convert and de-feature them will be a huge help.
If I have some spare time I intend to tackle some of these with feature scripts however a majority of them I think need more than my tinkering.

Many thanks for reading,
Darren

Comments

• Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can try the first and the second one with the tool "Create selection"

Just press the right button and choose "Create selection"
    You can test the Faces selection of Holes, Pockets, etc.
    Remember to check the "Select pattern" option
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @darren_13 - You can do all of the things you are asking about EXCEPT convert STL to solids.
    The tools you are looking for are all detailed in the 'direct editing' videos and webinars listed on our website.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    darren_13darren_13 Member, Developers Posts: 118 ✭✭
    @philip_thomas, ok I will go through these and see what I have missed!!

Cheers,
    Darren