Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to re-trigger 'near' mate

jon_loschkejon_loschke Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
After I insert a std content screw and it snaps to a mate, I later change the assembly and that other mate is lost.  Now I can't use the embedded near mate of the screw to attach to a new mate AFAICT.  There is no edit and it seems inactive.

Best Answer

Answers

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @jon_loschke - I am not exactly sure what you're asking, BUT - have you tried hitting the 'K' key (for 'mate Konnector')?
    This toggles all Mate Connectors on/off.
    You can also manually turn the 'Near' mate connector on/off (see image)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Near mate connector? Where is this animal found? I don't see it in my toolbar. Google is any help in pointing where to look for help either. - Scotty
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Near mate connector? Where is this animal found? I don't see it in my toolbar. Google is any help in pointing where to look for help either. - Scotty
    It's automatically created when you insert standard content into assemblies.
    OwS.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • jon_loschkejon_loschke Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    What Owen said.  It comes in hot, but it seems to be use-once.  After connecting with another mate, you cannot use it again if that other mate changes.  I want it to go hot again.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sorry, I'm still unsure of the initial request?

In this example file

I've:-
    (a) Made a block with two holes,
    (b) Added explicit mates in the partstudio for each hole
    (c) Made an assembly and added this part to it.
    (d) Added a bolt from standard content to the left hole.
    (e) Edited the fastened mate manually to move the bolt to the right hole by deleting the mates from it and then adding in the ones I want, including the "near mate" from the standard content. 

Before move:-

After Move:-

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • jon_loschkejon_loschke Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    apologies.  I didn't realize that was just snap mode.