Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What is the best way of inserting sufaces into an assembly

I have a model of a pump that I have been sent by the manufaturer, I want to insert it in to an assembly. The step file opens ok and I can see the model in parts studio but it consists of only one part and 3600+ surfaces. I have tried inserting surfaces in to to assembly which has worked in the past but OS crashes or loads forever when I select all surfaces to insert. I have also tried thickening to make parts but again it only allows me to select like 5 parts in a minute because its so slow. I have just started using OS and was loving it untill today. I have also tried converting to solid using freecad. Please help I have wasted 9 hours of my life on it :cold_sweat: Worth a mention that I dont have another cad system, cheers

Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    I would load all of the surfaces into a separate assembly. Then insert that into your main assembly. That will keep your assembly tree small.

It may take some time to insert them, but the system should handle it.

Or try using enclose to fix the surfaces into a part.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Steven- I feel your pain.
    Sometimes its a translation issue and sometimes its just bad models at the originating end.
    Is there a vendor website that we can download this from and try for ourselves?

And yes, sometimes all you can get (in any CAD system) is a bazillion faces (surfaces).
    When i am stuck like that, i insert into a Part Studio or assembly JUST the faces i need (usually the mating ones).

Send us a link and good luck! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape