Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Need help creating a particular geometry

FDF_Drafting_DeptFDF_Drafting_Dept Member Posts: 5 PRO
edited July 2018 in Community Support
Hi, I needed a hand creating a sheet metal part. It is going to have three faces welded together, but I can't get the initial geometry correct. Essentially, I need a rectange with a chamfer that follows a curve and tapers towards the top on the corner. The top depth is less than the bottom. I believe I need the loft feature to complete the shape, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best Answer

• FDF_Drafting_DeptFDF_Drafting_Dept Member Posts: 5 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Actually, by playing with it a little, emagdalenaC2C did figure it out. Thank you for the help. I just had to enlarge the circle for the extrude remove and use the coincident constraint on the corners.

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Can you share the document?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually It is not an easy sample of sheet metal part ;-)

You can't use loft because then you can't convert that loft to sheet metal. instead you should create all the geometry with lines and arcs.

Like in this sample
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    edited July 2018
    Actually It is not an easy sample of sheet metal part ;-)

You can't use loft because then you can't convert that loft to sheet metal. instead you should create all the geometry with lines and arcs.

Like in this sample
    This shape isn't the one I would like. I want the chamfer at the bottom base to taper up to the top chamfer. Essentially, I want to cut away that corner, but I'm not sure how to get the curve to match the two chamfers. Also, it isn't going to be bent as one piece. I just need help figuring out how to connect those chamfers so that I can start to mess with the sheet metal myself. Thank you
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure about what you want... and the document you share is not available. You should share it as public

Here is my document if it help you https://cad.onshape.com/documents/62069a00bdd710f7a4ec68cf/w/809d424d33df57d1b7529246/e/08191482a22b16bc4573db04

As you can see The Part Studio 2 can't be flattened because there are an edge that isn't an arc. So, you can create something like the sample in Part Studio 4.

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    I am not sure about what you want... and the document you share is not available. You should share it as public

Here is my document if it help you https://cad.onshape.com/documents/62069a00bdd710f7a4ec68cf/w/809d424d33df57d1b7529246/e/08191482a22b16bc4573db04

As you can see The Part Studio 2 can't be flattened because there are an edge that isn't an arc. So, you can create something like the sample in Part Studio 4.

Sorry about that. I changed the document to public. Part studio 4 is on the right track. Here's a screenshot generated from modifying a copy that just shows that there will be three pieces with two seams. What I'm trying to fix is how the face piece and the side piece sharply cut into the corner piece. I want the curve on the corner piece to smoothly transition from top to bottom. I included a picture of the geometry I'm trying to copy into onshape.
    Answer ✓
    Actually, by playing with it a little, emagdalenaC2C did figure it out. Thank you for the help. I just had to enlarge the circle for the extrude remove and use the coincident constraint on the corners.