Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Lofting Errors

Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 164
I have spent hours trying to get a successful loft with no luck. I have tried simplified cases which end up being hit and miss but for the one I am actually trying to do I haven't been able to get anything to work. The failed loft is at the bottom of the feature list in this document:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6b0496e855682661004f9ecd/w/5d467c03d1f0b17cef7cd0c3/e/5ed83894eac9e781203c43aa

Here's what it looks like:

And here's the top and bottom profile:

I've put each guide into it's own sketch and added pierce constraints to all of the end points however I still get loft errors. I have tried each guide individually and I also have the same issue. I've been through the forum looking at quite a few other peoples problems with lofts but haven't found any of those solutions to work.

Any bright ideas?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited July 2018
    @paul_arden - you were close! :)

#1 problem - guides must be tangent continuous
    #2 lofts are just plain fiddly in any system - sometimes just playing with extra sections and start/end conditions will get you better results.

This document contains a couple of itterations
    Hope this helps :)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8f9a97f07eb330531a392528/w/6bd39b5084aea70644f4c269/e/8acf96caf9e86aabed042a97

ps - totally fine to loft to a point, you did not need to make the tiny circle.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks! The tangent continuity was key, re-reading the documentation I see it does say it, though given how critical it is to success I think it would be great to emphasise it even more.

Thanks for the top on lofting to a point as a profile, that saves a lot of messing around. In the end the other issue I had was the paths were just not structured well enough to line everything up nicely so I redrew them and ensured the tangent constraints were there. Giving me:

I added some additional profiles to keep it cylindrical in the center and it's finally looking exactly as intended. One question I did have is how did you make the 'Selections' that are in your loft, when I use the 'Create Selection' and add them it just adds the individual items. In the end I used Composite Curves instead to create the subsets of curves to use as guides, just curious how you did that.

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO

Paul, I think you will find if you click the little arrow next to the selection you can expand it to select multiple selections rather than using a compound curve. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    @brucebartlett ah, thanks got it now.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    No Worries!
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    edited August 2018
    ^^^^Love it Paul! :)
    (also clears up some debate around here as to 'what the hell is that?' :))
    Philip Thomas - Onshape