Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assembly not Updating with Parts Studio Changes

timtimtimtim Member Posts: 4 EDU
I'm still early in the learning process of Onshape and can't seem to figure out why my Assebmly has stopped updating with my Parts Studio changes.
Here is a copy of the document: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/02b6b3c2259e290ef3b61e45/w/f1d90e03301051f3713902c0/e/4515d4c554fb82bca8410db9

Best Answers

• timtimtimtim Member Posts: 4 EDU
    Answer ✓
    I think I may have figured it out. When changing the Long Tube's configuration (using a configuration variable) I need to select all the parts impacted by the change of the variable. By doing this it seems to work; at least a few different options I've tried so far have worked.

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Answer ✓
    Yes, once a part has been assembled as a configuration it must be swapped out if you want to use a different one. Configurations variables create a unique instance every time you change a value. Are you sure you need configurations for your design? Would just regular variables be better (that way updating parts will update the assembly)?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

If by “not updating” you mean that when you create new parts they don’t appear in the assembly, that is correct. A part studio is not a subassembly it is just a collection of related parts that can be used in different assemblies. Any new parts must be manually assembled into the assembly. 

BTW your doc is shared as a link not public so nobody can copy it to investigate.
    Neil, thanks for the response. I don't think I did a good job of explaining the actual problem.
    I did not add any new parts in the Part Studio that are not appearing in the assembly. The "updating" I'm referring to is the parts are not updating (e.g. length of parts, extrude/removes are out of place, etc.).
    Sorry about the link, this one should be better: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/02b6b3c2259e290ef3b61e45/w/f1d90e03301051f3713902c0/e/4515d4c554fb82bca8410db9
    I'm still learning all the ins and outs.
    Thanks!
    Answer ✓
    I think I may have figured it out. When changing the Long Tube's configuration (using a configuration variable) I need to select all the parts impacted by the change of the variable. By doing this it seems to work; at least a few different options I've tried so far have worked.

Answer ✓
    Yes, once a part has been assembled as a configuration it must be swapped out if you want to use a different one. Configurations variables create a unique instance every time you change a value. Are you sure you need configurations for your design? Would just regular variables be better (that way updating parts will update the assembly)?
    You are correct, I can simply do it with a variable. Not sure why I was trying to make it harder than I needed to. 
    Either way, I learned more about Onshape in the process.
    Thanks for the help! I'll mark this as answered.