Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Banana for Scale

frank26080115frank26080115 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
There's no measurement tool in Onshape, when I open a model, if it's not immediately obvious, then I have no idea how big the model actually is.

Please implement some form of measurement tool, or a little scale indicator somewhere, or a faint grid on planes that can be toggled.

Or have a button that inserts a banana into the model view.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited April 2015
    I agree. To be able to enable measure tape background would give better first sight impression on dimensions.

This is good example: (Factory trolley)
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1d2cf2545ca34eaea89dbaab/w/a3ed1bdec4b74b4c84840d97/e/442c4913e93a46a18224faaa

I though it was something like 1200mm by 500mm trolley, image tabs show that it might be a bit bigger..

Edit:
    Just noticed you can't copy a link to public model from the document list, you need to actually open the document for getting link that works.
    Link fixed.

//rami
    I'm familiar with the measurement tool. I forgot to mention earlier that I agree just for the 'easier understanding of the scale' part.

Measurement tool in Onshape is very good when you get used to it.
    //rami
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been rather surprised at how well OnShape automatically scales a group of undimensioned sketch entities once one of them is dimensioned.  The group of entities is usually pretty close to what I intended so, for me, there has so far been little need to more than the existing measurement tool provides.
    @Michael3424 I like that sketch figure scaling too, most of the time. If I create say about 2000x500 rectangle and I make first dimension between rectangle and something else and set it to be 1mm - it will still scale the rectangle while I'm just trying to position before sizing.

This thread is not about sketch scaling though. It's about understanding immediately when you open model what size the model is.
    //rami
  • frank26080115frank26080115 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I completely missed the bottom right corner. Thanks for pointing that out.

• adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    edited May 2015
    I still like the idea of the Banana! (9 Gaggers will understand)
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @adrian_velazquez Welcome to the dark side by the way... ;)
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    edited May 2015
    Haha... thanks Pete! but I don't think this is the Dark Side, in that case it would be the other way around, I've sneaked out the Empire to join the rebels  p Everyday I'm more confussed with their Death Star... I mean 3D Experience logo
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
    Haha... thanks Pete! but I don't think this is the Dark Side, in that case it would be the other way around, I've sneaked out the Empire to join the rebels  p Everyday I'm more confussed with their Death Star... I mean 3D Experience logo
    Spot on.
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Am I the only one who keeps misreading this discussion subject as "Banana for sale"?
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    Am I the only one who keeps misreading this discussion subject as "Banana for sale"?
    @ilya_baran :D
    It would certainly be 'out-of-the-box' thinking to sell banana in this global forum =)=)
    //rami
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    With a .010 resolution scale you may as well be using a banana, sorry just had to.

Onshape Please get a least a .0001 res on the scale soon.

I can't design anything with .010.

Thanks