Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Beams profile library

michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
edited August 2018 in FeatureScript
Hello everyone,

I would like to share with you all some of the profiles from my copy of Beams 2.0 featurescript created by @NeilCooke which I have added many profiles and merged some other libraries into.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a38ff6a561548498cb9d9e51/w/83da1faa1ca266e96418b80e/e/8a73854e0d3da96a42295ec4

It is not complete and is a work in progress. Not all of it is error checked, but I haven't run into any errors/issues so far when I use it.

I would appreciate your feedback on the profiles and any potential errors. I would also like to use this thread to have other users share some of their libraries and we can create a repository of profiles for all to use when they need them.

Thank you,

Michael

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Very kind of you :+1:

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Wow @NeilCooke! I cant wait to see what you have in store! I guess I didn't copy the whole link, but I'll edit it and fix that.

Feel free to use any profiles you see fit. They follow your original naming convention and should match the original Beams 2.0 profiles but with sizes added. I also split the Profile libraries up and reordered some to make it easier to find the section you're looking for.

Most all of the ANSI and ISO profiles should be good to go with the exception of the Flat Bar profiles. They have radius edges which I felt were unnecessary and opened up room for error. Hence, I marked them as "Dont Use"

The main areas where I added profiles were with Angle Iron, Square and Rectangular Tubing, and Pipe (Structural and DOM). I also added ISO Circular Profiles from somewhere, but I'm not familiar with this material and have not used it before. I didnt touch the Lumber, 80/20, or Bent Profiles.

All the work was done at various times so I don't remember every change, but I'm happy to help you build a strong library so every user can benefit
  • Options
    Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO

@NeilCooke Can't wait to see the next version and the ability to better share libraries of standard profiles; we're getting closer! 

@michael_mcclain Thanks for starting this thread and sharing.

• Options
    I have created a simple library of ANSI Steel shapes that is configurable. It works great for me alongside the updated Beams feature. The shapes are variable driven allowing for unlimited sizes. I don't have time to populate a table with all available sizes of material so I opted to use variables instead to input the sizes upon selection. Here's what I got:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/98ff29ea8ec51faed42495fc/v/be0e688d8b944d26b477a0d3/e/391b26f23460c1ced5b71ebc