Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

compatibility of onshape with different softwares and OSs

franco_otaolafranco_otaola Member Posts: 23
hello!
I have a new computer with which I am going to work a lot with onshape.

by default, I have windows with chrome. 
I installed firefox and also have edge, I tried the three of them, also the did the graphics performance (https://cad.onshape.com/check) and saw that it was better in chrome against firefox and I don't think it works with edge as it was giving like the double or even three times better performance and when I tried with a big model it took longer time to finish it with edge.

what I wanted to know if with the same computer specs the performance would change with different OS ( like windows, linux or MAC OS) and also if it would change with the explorer I am using as the graphics performance didn't give me a real answer and that i would instal another OS only for that.

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    edited September 2018
    I don't think performance will change much on the same hardware if you are on Windows/Linux or whatever. It may come down to your driver quality at that point.

I've tried Onshape on a cheap macbook in a vegas hotel room, Chromebooks at best buy, my gaming rig at home, my cad workstation at work, my galaxy note 8 at the bar, a few gaming laptops.

What I have seen is the only real difference is the speed it loads in (large models) and the speed it rotates the model.

even old crappy computers I have tested still were tolerable enough I wouldn't object to using them. The only reason I say tolerable is because I have seen what full blast speed looks like on the better computers, so that extra half second of lag I can notice. But that's like going from a corvette to a camaro.
    camaro may seem like a really fast car, until you have driven a corvette.

So as long as you are comfortable with the performance, I would stick to it. because the really fast computer is only slightly better for most small-medium projects. Onshape should scale down the tessellation automatically to help with slower machines too, to assist with performance anyway.

As far as Firefox/chrome, I keep both installed. If a project is being testy in chrome, I'll switch to Firefox to see if it is any better (sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't)
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    What he said ∆∆∆
    If the performance checker says you have several hundred million triangles per second or more, then relax all is good.

Agree that OnShape feels fine until you try bigger assemblies on a really fast graphics card and then slower machines are fine but just a tad less responsive.

There's been a bunch talked around this topic so hit up the search button and you'll find the FF Vs Chrome info, and what CPU Vs GPU Vs ping matters.

Enjoy, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd