Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Shared Link Challenges

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
When I share a link to a model, there's a few issues: 

1. The link is view only and it's impossible for the receiver to view the measurements of the sketch. 
2. The link doesn't enable the person to export it, so if I send the link to a print shop, they have to make an account and everything, something which they will not bother to do. 

Can't it be a little easier? When you send a link, you should be able to bring up the sketch, like when you edit it. Also, you should be able to export. 

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @famadorian - this is great feedback thank you. Please create an improvement request so that we know what to work on.
    (We really do count up the votes for each enhancement and then work on the top 'n' for each sprint (3 week development cycle)).
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    It seems the feature tracker is now a forum? So, I should move this post to the improvement requests forum? An easier way would be just to tag this post with a feature request tag. That's another feature request for you;)
  • Options
    paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    @famadorian. If you are copying and pasting the link to a public document then yes, the other user will only be able to view the part.

But even if a document is read-only a person can right mouse button on a sketch and say "view" which will display the sketch and its dimensions. They can also click on items to measure them with the measurements shown in the bottom right. And they should be able to export. Do those not work for the person you share it with?

If it is a private document then you will probably need to grant them view, and export, access rights via the button in the top right.

Here's a screenshot of me doing sketch measurement in a public document that is view-only for me.

So it sounds to me as if they should be able to do what you want.

Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • Options
    @famadorian. If you are copying and pasting the link to a public document then yes, the other user will only be able to view the part.

But even if a document is read-only a person can right mouse button on a sketch and say "view" which will display the sketch and its dimensions. They can also click on items to measure them with the measurements shown in the bottom right. And they should be able to export. Do those not work for the person you share it with?

If it is a private document then you will probably need to grant them view, and export, access rights via the button in the top right.

Here's a screenshot of me doing sketch measurement in a public document that is view-only for me.

So it sounds to me as if they should be able to do what you want.

I don't understand this. I don't get this button.

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,377
    edited September 2018
    @famadorian - you have to share it specifically to a person's email address with view and export permissions. This does mean that the supplier must make a (free) Onshape account in order to see sketch dims and export (I'm sure if you are paying them to make something for you they will make an account). Links prevent people from seeing too much detail because it is a security risk - anybody could be looking at your document without you knowing it.

EDIT: I see you are a free plan user also - in that case you do not need to share a document because it is already public - you just need to send the URL (but they will still need to create an account).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Hi, making random persons create accounts is not going to fly;)

It's not a security risk if I share a link, cause that's what I chose to do. 
  • Options
    paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    Understood, and we may well provide the ability to expose more with anonymous links in the future, such as export. But there will always be a limit to what is possible with anonymous access.
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • Options
    tom_scarincetom_scarince Member, Developers Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    ... This does mean that the supplier must make a (free) Onshape account in order to see sketch dims and export (I'm sure if you are paying them to make something for you they will make an account). ...
    @NeilCooke Wouldn't  this clearly violate the latest terms of service?  
  • Options
    Understood, and we may well provide the ability to expose more with anonymous links in the future, such as export. But there will always be a limit to what is possible with anonymous access.
    Right, but I think if you share a model with a link, atleast you should be able to see its measurements and download it or else it doesn't make must use. Who wants to see a model without its measurements and not being able to download it? It's like the whole point of sending him something;)
  • Options
    noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    NeilCooke said:
    ... This does mean that the supplier must make a (free) Onshape account in order to see sketch dims and export (I'm sure if you are paying them to make something for you they will make an account). ...
    @NeilCooke Wouldn't  this clearly violate the latest terms of service?  

@tom_scarince viewing, commenting, and importing/exporting of commercial work is supported by the Free Plan. Creating and editing commercial work is not. You can see the exact wording of this in our Terms of Use here (section 4. (c))
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    tom_scarincetom_scarince Member, Developers Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    Good to know - Thanks  
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi
    Hi, making random persons create accounts is not going to fly;)

It's not a security risk if I share a link, cause that's what I chose to do. 
    I was about to post the same opinion but then thought "can you revoke a link?".  I don't believe you can, where as with an explicit share to an individual you can.  Perhaps this lends weight to the differentiation?

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    An anonymous link might be the best (and intended) workflow here.
    We are actively working on providing additional permissions/controls to anonymous links ;)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    nat_mishkinnat_mishkin Member Posts: 3
    I was about to post the same opinion but then thought "can you revoke a link?".  I don't believe you can, where as with an explicit share to an individual you can.  Perhaps this lends weight to the differentiation?
    You can revoke a link.