Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

unable to trim 1 beam, but another work

A_PareA_Pare Member Posts: 4 PRO
edited September 2018 in FeatureScript
I trim beam 2 to plane2 and it works, but when I want to trim beam 3 to the same plane, it will not work. I tried many things, move the beam, move the line, make the line longer but still unable to trim. 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d61edaf55af90543f249944d/w/b527e7986d090fa7636dc4b1/e/ecef18dd89f4878e30cfff75
@NeilCooke
Tagged:

Comments

• kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    Can you share the document in question as public? I'd be happy to take a look.
  • A_PareA_Pare Member Posts: 4 PRO
    It is public now
    Okay. I've discovered the cause of the bug, and we'll need to update the beams feature to fix it. In the meantime, you can work around this issue by creating another (seemingly identical!) plane with the "Plane point" method, using the same plane you used before and the endpoint of Beam 3's edge, then use that new plane to trim Beam 3.

Apologies for the inconvenience!

• A_PareA_Pare Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Thanks!
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @kevin_o_toole_1
    Is it due to the planes being represented internally at their original size?
    I had this problem with the beams feature also, and I ended up using a circular pattern.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Yeah the issue is the FS relying on evCollision(), which treats infinite planes as finite (with somewhat unpredictable boundaries). It should instead check qIntersectsPlane(). We'll version the fix once it's fully tested, possibly grouping in another change.

Thanks for reporting!

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @alex_pare - this should now work (look for the blue update icon next to your features and also next to the Beams icon on your toolbar - right-click and select update). Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI