Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Imported Part name to match the sldprt part file name in Solidworks

VaishVaish Member Posts: 15 PRO
edited October 2018 in Product Feedback
Hi all

So when I import Solidworks files into Onshape, there is one problem I always encounter. When I import a sldprt part file, Onshape tends to name the part studio the same as the part file name, but the name of the part is some random name like Part1. This makes it difficult to identify the part if it is used in another assembly. I know this problem doesn't arise when I pack and go the assembly into a zip file and import. But there are few shared components which I would want to import as individual part studios and not as part of an assembly. If Onshape made it possible to automatically name it's part names as those in SolidWorks, that would be great.

P.S: When I import a part named examplepart from Solidworks into Onshape, the name is carried over as examplepart.sldprt  . I'm assuming this is unwanted and most of us would just want it to be renamed as examplepart without the extension name. I don't know if there is an explanation to why the name works like that but if there's no difficulty, it would be nice to have part names as just the file names without it's extension name.

Thanks

Comments

• Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    Vaish said:

P.S: When I import a part named examplepart from Solidworks into Onshape, the name is carried over as examplepart.sldprt  . I'm assuming this is unwanted and most of us would just want it to be renamed as examplepart without the extension name. I don't know if there is an explanation to why the name works like that but if there's no difficulty, it would be nice to have part names as just the file names without it's extension name.
    My guess on why Onshape imports files with the extension is because it imports files from many other systems and maybe the user "might" care what system the file originated from... 
  • VaishVaish Member Posts: 15 PRO
    edited October 2018
    Vaish said:

My guess on why Onshape imports files with the extension is because it imports files from many other systems and maybe the user "might" care what system the file originated from... 
    Yea well, the extension name was not so major deal for me, but it would still be nice to have the option of renaming on the screen while importing if they want to save the extension name. Especially in the beginning when I'm trying to bring all my previous parts in, and having to rename everything after importing, it seems frustrating.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Vaish Import files from the documents page we create the document to match that of the file.  If you import from within a document we can try to preserve names but the important aspect is we need more options to allow you to structure what comes in and how it is laid out.  Today we can merge them into one Studio, try to keep the assembly hierarchy but that leaves a part studio with all unique instances and is hard to navigate or one part per doc which leaves a very large footprint of documents.  More options to come.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • VaishVaish Member Posts: 15 PRO
    lougallo said:
    @Vaish Import files from the documents page we create the document to match that of the file.  If you import from within a document we can try to preserve names but the important aspect is we need more options to allow you to structure what comes in and how it is laid out.  Today we can merge them into one Studio, try to keep the assembly hierarchy but that leaves a part studio with all unique instances and is hard to navigate or one part per doc which leaves a very large footprint of documents.  More options to come.
    If there was an option to let the user determine how they want to name their files while importing that would be great!