Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

tangent line with circles

chenken_lupichenken_lupi Member Posts: 7
Hello,

I'm trying to add a line that is tangent to 2 circles on my 2D sketch.  Needs to start at tangent of one circle and go beyond tangent of second circle.

LuPi

Answers

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Draw circles and then let the line snap to those. Click show constraints and check if there is tangent constraint, if not click line and circle and then click tangent constraint icon.

This is shown in videos at onshape.com - check them out.
    //rami
  • Darren_A_HenryDarren_A_Henry Onshape Employees Posts: 64
    You can capture some of the constraints while you sketch.  Start by drawing a line that is coincident to one circle, and you can pick up a coincident&tangent relationship on the second circle.  I use click-drag when drawing these types of lines.  It will draw one segment at a time.

Then go back an add the first tangency manually.  I use a crossing select window a lot to quickly pick two entities.

See the included animated GIF.image
  • chenken_lupichenken_lupi Member Posts: 7
    I made mythril engine publik.  I may have figured out that, but I'm not sure I am using snap function properly.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3fadf23bd6a84114bb73f1f5/w/f859dd0ac40f43a6821382bf/e/103a1f52151341d785cba72f
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    For me it looks like you have it covered, just tick 'Show constraints' and hover over icons to see which geometry it belongs to..
    //rami