Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

SOLVED: pattern on a curve is rotating the wrong way and not following the curve

Lyle_WalshLyle_Walsh Member Posts: 46
edited November 2018 in Community Support
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/856ebdce6c4cedced2e02bde/w/2ff1b4330205e9e8369a0db2/e/4112ec896ffb333da1e0df82

I am back to working on a tubing support and once again having a lot of trouble patterning cutouts along the curve.  THe curve generates the loft very well but pattern on a curve seems to be rotating thepattern objects the opposite direction of the curve.  any ideas (the triangles will be cutout of the extrusion to decrease mass and improve the look)

Best Answers

• Lyle_WalshLyle_Walsh Member Posts: 46
    Answer ✓
    Note to anyone following this: the duplication has some difficulty following tight curves, works great on gentler curves and decided to make the cutouts circular rather than alternating triangles.  You can put more along the outside of a curve and fewer on the inside to make spacing nicer

Answers

just curious, I fail to see any use in the pattern on a curve that doesn't follow the normal other than when you use preserve orientation

Answer ✓
    Note to anyone following this: the duplication has some difficulty following tight curves, works great on gentler curves and decided to make the cutouts circular rather than alternating triangles.  You can put more along the outside of a curve and fewer on the inside to make spacing nicer

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited November 2018
    I've had similar problems with swept or loft curves, according to support it is a tolerance issue. 
    the work around they suggested I have been using for a while now and have had fewer problems.

Start with a cylinder surface, then make your sweep, now use the sweep to split the cylinder surface. It seems to "cleanse" the edge and normalize it.