Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Loft tool and Remove

IsoThermIsoTherm Member Posts: 66 PRO
Greetings,

For your consideration and suggestions:

Ok, here I have a solid that was created using the revolve tool.
Now I want to use the loft tool to cut a vane from inside. I have two profiles in one drawing and a spline path that is projected from the sketch below.

If I use the loft tool in Add mode without the part shown, I get this. So far so good.

With the part shown and used as a merge tool, but still in Add mode

Now in Remove mode. What did I do wrong? I've tried this about seven ways and wind up in the same place each time.

Thanks,
Isotherm
Tagged:

Best Answer

• IsoThermIsoTherm Member Posts: 66 PRO
    Answer ✓
    got it figured out. I needed to start the cut profile beyond the hard edge.

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    Can you share it ?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @IsoTherm, looks like you might have some line to line geometry. CAD doesn't do well with overlapping surfaces and knife edges.
    Greetings,

For your consideration and suggestions:

Ok, here I have a solid that was created using the revolve tool.
    Now I want to use the loft tool to cut a vane from inside. I have two profiles in one drawing and a spline path that is projected from the sketch below.

If I use the loft tool in Add mode without the part shown, I get this. So far so good.

With the part shown and used as a merge tool, but still in Add mode

Now in Remove mode. What did I do wrong? I've tried this about seven ways and wind up in the same place each time.

Thanks,
    Isotherm
    Tagged: 

Leave a Comment

If you dig into it you'll find a 2D and a 3D spline. I tried both and got the same result.
      Here's what I get when I intersect. This is what I want to remove from the body of the part.

Answer ✓
      got it figured out. I needed to start the cut profile beyond the hard edge.
    • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
      You can also create the vane as a separate part (new), use move face to extend the profile past the hard edge, then use Boolean / Subtract.  
      Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI