Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Practice 3 Part Studio 1

pete_murray947pete_murray947 Member Posts: 5
edited January 2019 in Community Support
Completely new to CAD and Onshape. I've been going through the tutorials and it's been tough. But hey, I'm tough so I slog through and am learning a lot. 

I am trying to spec out this shape, and I can't seem to get it between the outside of the two end circles. Every time I hit measure and either of the circles it wants to give me the radius. ARGGHHH! 

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Unfortunately if the circle is not continuous, Onshape will only give you the radius, then it is up to you to double it.

I too wish they would display Diameter and Radius in every arc measurement.

I didn't find an improvement for this, so I made one here:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10987/when-measuring-fillets-arcs-circles-diameter-radius-length-circumference/p1?new=1 
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Hi pete_murray947,

Are you referencing the '250' in the image you've posted above?  If, so

1. Select the dimension command (please ignore my missed tangent constraint).

2. Select the the circle on the outter edge.  This will start a diametric dimension because at this point only one thing is selected.

3. Select the opposite circle on the outter edge.  This will change the dimension to be a maximum distance one.

4. Place the dimension and change the distance to 250.

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • pete_murray947pete_murray947 Member Posts: 5
    OK, I figured it out. Right click on the edge and select "select other". It will then prompt you to select the edge or the face. I chose edge and did the same on the other circle. The measurement line automagically appeared and I was able to set it to 200. Cool. Now I need to open that practical up and finish it. Just probably not tonight! :D:D:D 
  • pete_murray947pete_murray947 Member Posts: 5
    In the example, they clearly have it measuring from the outside of the two circles on either end. They've even made the effort to point it. out I'm trying to replicate that. 
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Did you see Jake's post above, specifically points 2 and 3?

Cheers, Owen.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd