Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to Create a set of Sketch & Feature that are available to be imported/insert into a Part Studio

patrick_farleypatrick_farley Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
Hi,
i am trying to make a bank of avionic instrument drill out and be able to use them on a custom instrument panel
right know i am only able to make a list of sketch and copy / paste them on the new part. i cannot have any feature save. 
I try the derived feature, but, I cannot change the location after the insert is made.

Is there a way that i could make a set/bank of Sketch with Feature, and easilly use those to insert into a new part

In the bottom of the picture i show my set of drill out instrument in sketch only, but they are missing all the feature (chamfer)
In the top of the picture, i show what the real drill out for this instrument would be. (chamfer)

Thanks
Pat F

Best Answers

• patrick_farleypatrick_farley Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Criss, your idea gave me part of the answer.
    i did finally draw a negative of my cut out needed, and i could not union all the part together because the part were not touching, i included you idea of a face plate connecting all my part together and VOILA....

So i insert point on my instrument panel, and insert the mate connector (i redraw the instrument panel on the top plane instead of the front plane to get the mate correctly insert without the need to realign them) on a sketch.

i then create a assembly, and insert the instrument panel, the instrument, then i did a in context edit of the instrument panel then i did a boolean subtract and there it was.

Thanks a lot for your idea, it help me find my solution

Pat F

Answers

• Josiah_HarthcockJosiah_Harthcock Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Hi,
    i am trying to make a bank of avionic instrument drill out and be able to use them on a custom instrument panel
    right know i am only able to make a list of sketch and copy / paste them on the new part. i cannot have any feature save. 
    I try the derived feature, but, I cannot change the location after the insert is made.

Is there a way that i could make a set/bank of Sketch with Feature, and easilly use those to insert into a new part

In the bottom of the picture i show my set of drill out instrument in sketch only, but they are missing all the feature (chamfer)
    In the top of the picture, i show what the real drill out for this instrument would be. (chamfer)

Thanks
    Pat F

The transform feature will allow you to move/rotate in a part studio.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Thanks, but,
    i don't want to move or rotate or translate a Part.

I would like to copy only the sketch, and feature of a part (not the part itself) onto another one.

i would like to desing a instrument panel. (a full sheet of metal) from the shape of a specific airplane

Then using a bank (set of cut out) of all the possible instrument. insert the cut out to the correct location

I try to create a Negative of the holes, (to be able to create a Boolean Subtract) but i cannot create a single part, as the hole are not touching together.
    I would have to transform the 5 parts individually

This bank/set idea is so i don't have to redraw the hole location and chamfer for each instrument panel that i make, only the position would be left to do

Sheet of metal without hole:

Bank of instrument cut out:

Hole made on the instrument panel:

Thanks 
    Pat Farley

• TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Sounds like a good case for a custom FeautreScript!
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    Create a sketch on the face of your instrument panel using points locating the center of each of your instruments. Insert the instrument panel and the sketch into an assembly. Create your instruments in another part studio. Now you will need to create mate connectors at each of the points and realign them to the face (apparently the z axis is always up when trying to mate to a point, so this has to be done, unless someone says otherwise). Use the fasten mate to locate all your instruments with the appropriate mate connector. Then edit your instrument panel in context. You can use the geometry from your instruments to create your holes and cutouts in the instrument panel. I made a quick example:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e97782e2780ed83fd9c3e093/w/f25a3a806831992d05ca55b2/e/cf752c5b58e57518a5338943
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Criss, your idea gave me part of the answer.
    i did finally draw a negative of my cut out needed, and i could not union all the part together because the part were not touching, i included you idea of a face plate connecting all my part together and VOILA....

So i insert point on my instrument panel, and insert the mate connector (i redraw the instrument panel on the top plane instead of the front plane to get the mate correctly insert without the need to realign them) on a sketch.

i then create a assembly, and insert the instrument panel, the instrument, then i did a in context edit of the instrument panel then i did a boolean subtract and there it was.

Thanks a lot for your idea, it help me find my solution

Pat F

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @owen_sparks
    Please see this FS for something like what you want to do:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/389762cf46ca2a3fcc9d4ad9
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MBartlett21, cute test cupcake :D
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Yes, that's even more than I was looking for as it'll handle configurations too.  I thought it was popcorn though.  Either way it's nice work!

Cheers, Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    I have now got it to handle feature pattern :)
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO

You seemed to have created a throwing star for "Cupcake-Ninjas". B)

O.S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd