Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Add vs New Extruded Part for Subtraction etc

Even though I've had an account, I'm finally diving-in (recently from Solidworks). So, I'm new.... I really need the part studio top-down design concept and am liking the concept. I need two cylindrical parts that connect on the edges that provide an adjustable gap between them when you turn one against the other. The profile of the edge has to have "steps" so they can't slide out of adjustment. I'm just trying to make a matching part and do a subtraction. Any help/advice is appreciated. (On a different note, it'd be nice if there was a multi-segmented helix. No need to get degrees or clockwise vs counterclockwise, just pick a point on an existing helix to add pitch and turn. And maybe be able to add filets to the profile?)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7ad64ad01976b9fb8b394990/w/c1ded4c1c3a49011d881d699/e/c5426a8ed6f39451e759b186

Best Answers

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    You also may want to not use "Offset all" in favor of just offsetting the top faces that you care about offsetting (otherwise the side faces are offset as well and the geometry is odd.)

I copied your document and made the changes as described :)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2be35d16a23f6d4eab635755/w/53059868b6705c634fdeebd4/e/60a5a69a43a57025ef8d7d3f
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Answer ✓
    @william_holden959

The face will not be selectable in "surface" mode, It will only be selectable in "solid" mode.  If you pre-select the face and then press the Extrude button, it will automatically be in "solid" mode, but I suspect you got into "surface" mode by pre-selecting the edge and then pressing the Extrude button.

Additionally, if the face is not there at all to select, you may have to "show" the sketch by clicking the eye next to the sketch feature in the feature list (It will only show up if you hover your mouse over the sketch feature), and you may have to hide certain parts (eye button in the parts list) to get at the sketch once it is shown.

To select the offset faces I had to "hide" part 2 temporarily (while the feature dialog was still being edited), select all the top step faces, and then show part 2 again
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Answer ✓
    On another tangent (figurative), it appears that I can't do an extrude/cut beginning at an offset distance.
    You can.
    You can add a second direction and click the opposite direction button for it.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Answer ✓
    @william_holden959 @MBartlett21

Oh how dense I am!  I'm actually the one who implemented extrue-up-to-with-offset and then failed to realize it was the right solution for this case...

I've created a version in the same document, and made some edits to reflect the better way!
    (In addition to what M. said, I've also backed the plane up an additional 4mm so that the extrude only needs one end position instead of two.  Extruding with offset has a quirky behavior that if the offset pushes the faces through to the other side of the profile, the extrude will fail :( )

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2be35d16a23f6d4eab635755/w/53059868b6705c634fdeebd4/e/60a5a69a43a57025ef8d7d3f

Answers

edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    You also may want to not use "Offset all" in favor of just offsetting the top faces that you care about offsetting (otherwise the side faces are offset as well and the geometry is odd.)

I copied your document and made the changes as described :)

• william_holden959william_holden959 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Thanks Jake! I swear I tried all that! Not sure why it was surface and not solid. The faces that you have selected for the offset are not showing up for me (I'm not able to select those). But, you got me heading in the right direction. This is the way I understood it to work, not sure what I missed before somehow getting "surface"
    Answer ✓
    @william_holden959

The face will not be selectable in "surface" mode, It will only be selectable in "solid" mode.  If you pre-select the face and then press the Extrude button, it will automatically be in "solid" mode, but I suspect you got into "surface" mode by pre-selecting the edge and then pressing the Extrude button.

Additionally, if the face is not there at all to select, you may have to "show" the sketch by clicking the eye next to the sketch feature in the feature list (It will only show up if you hover your mouse over the sketch feature), and you may have to hide certain parts (eye button in the parts list) to get at the sketch once it is shown.

To select the offset faces I had to "hide" part 2 temporarily (while the feature dialog was still being edited), select all the top step faces, and then show part 2 again
    OK! Suppressing the 2nd Part and picking each surface for the offset was what I was missing. I'm not sure why that would be necessary. It seems like I should be able to pick the large surface on the back of the part as long as I give it a relative distance. On another tangent (figurative), it appears that I can't do an extrude/cut beginning at an offset distance. But, I realize I have not gotten deep into this and I appreciate everything this offers. And thanks again for your help!
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Answer ✓
    On another tangent (figurative), it appears that I can't do an extrude/cut beginning at an offset distance.
    You can.
    You can add a second direction and click the opposite direction button for it.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
    Answer ✓
    @william_holden959 @MBartlett21

Oh how dense I am!  I'm actually the one who implemented extrue-up-to-with-offset and then failed to realize it was the right solution for this case...

I've created a version in the same document, and made some edits to reflect the better way!
    (In addition to what M. said, I've also backed the plane up an additional 4mm so that the extrude only needs one end position instead of two.  Extruding with offset has a quirky behavior that if the offset pushes the faces through to the other side of the profile, the extrude will fail :( )

If you want to have a dense-off, I'll win every time! I'll take a look at it. What I ended-up doing is not using the offset at all, because in the assembly I can set it up the way I need. But I want to understand it, so I'll look- but no promises that I'll be able to get my mind around it.

I have to say that I am incredibly happy with what Onshape offers. I've checked it out over the years, and I am blown away. It is exactly what I need. Thanks for the help!
    That's an excellent feature!! Great Stuff! I was able to include that. Now I'm redoing the part and this particular type of extrude isn't working for me. It might have to do with new circular pattern that I'm extruding to. When I made the circular pattern, it gave me a little trouble, so I'm a little suspicious. The failed extrude is the last feature. Thanks for all the help!
    @william_holden959

Feel free to post that document link here also if you want someone to take a look :) I thought you may be referring to your original doc, but I don't see a circular pattern or a failing extrude.
    @Jake_Rosenfeld I was trying to extrude to the part while it had a hole through it. So, it was my fault and I figured it out after I posted the comment. It's a very power feature! I appreciate all the behind-the-scenes work going on!