Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

ARCHITECTURAL USE?

ed_longed_long Member Posts: 5 PRO
edited May 2015 in Community Support
I do have some products I need to design and model but I am also a pool builder and am wondering if there is any reason this cannot be used for architectural/pool/landscape type work or if anyone is here that is doing that. I only discovered onshape last night.

Best Answer

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    (In haste): try this, which cuts out the trimming of circles and goes straight for the jugular: lay out the rough profile using a succession of 3 point arcs, snapping the endpoints together. Now pick pairs of adjacent arcs (window selection is a speedup here) and apply tangency constraints.
    Et voila.

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Just use it as you wish.. the only problem might be the collaboration with architects running archicad.

I have used this type of software for my house, patio, factory premises, layout design, furniture, office, kitchen, bathroom, .. etc
    You will get nice section views easily to build swimming pools and 2D drawings should be on their way..
    //rami
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    3dcad said:
    Just use it as you wish.. the only problem might be the collaboration with architects running archicad.

I have used this type of software for my house, patio, factory premises, layout design, furniture, office, kitchen, bathroom, .. etc
    You will get nice section views easily to build swimming pools and 2D drawings should be on their way..
    I tend to think a MCAD package has really fleshed out it's geometry creation tools when it could be used to model something like a house.  It would need something like structural frameworks (think weldement functionality in SolidWorks speak), 3D sketching, Wiring/harnessing, Piping, maybe some CFD for heating and air conditioning analysis.  Not like I would be a total geek and model my house I would like to build - or anything... :D  Here's to using Onshape in the future to model exactly this.
  • Options
    I usually draw freeform pools using a polyline (arc) in CAD. Or will put out say 3 circles and connect them with reverse radius's using fillet/4' or 6' radius command. I cannot seem to get 3 circles merged or get the fillet tool to tie them together with a reverse radius. Picture a 3 part peanut. I also do not see an opportunity to complete my circles with a numeric input for diameter or radius or see any dynamic input info telling me how far I am dragging it out. I will watch the tutorials more, I really want to harness this software.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    (In haste): try this, which cuts out the trimming of circles and goes straight for the jugular: lay out the rough profile using a succession of 3 point arcs, snapping the endpoints together. Now pick pairs of adjacent arcs (window selection is a speedup here) and apply tangency constraints.
    Et voila.
  • Options
    let me give that a try. Thank You!
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Has anyone succeeded moving model from archicad to sw / inventor / geomagic / onshape / any mcad ?

I would really need this function right now, they seem to have few export formats; not sure if any of them helps:
    http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/technotes/setup/software-technologies/file-formats-in-archicad/
    //rami