Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assembly Configurations - managing mates

APDAPD Member Posts: 40 PRO
I love the new assembly configs.  However managing the mates between configs is a little awkward. (or more than likely, I have picked an awkward workflow and there is a better way I've not discovered yet) 

I have a configured assembly with 2 configs. (a short and a long ).  Only difference between them is the length. (600mm & 900mm), and the longer has some extra LED boards and screws.  

I like to use the replicate tool to place the screws.  All the screws and their mates added in one click! Magic!

It starts to get messy when I add the extra screws on the latter (longer). Skip back to the former (shorter) and (deep breath)......   

... there's all these extra screws that need to be suppressed and their mates need to be suppressed and the suppression state for the extra screws need to be configured and the suppression state for the screw mates need to be configured and this is all adding to the config table which becomes very unwieldy and then I'm told I need to add a third even longer configuration and I want to cry!

What if...

I could bung all the extra screws with their mates in a Folder (in the assembly tree) and then configure the suppression state of the Folder?

Best Answer

Answers

• APDAPD Member Posts: 40 PRO
    You're correct. They do repeat (every 5 screws or so per LED board). So I could set up the pattern and simply configure the pattern instance integers!  Great idea, I'll try that. Thanks Neil
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    NeilCooke said:
    Folders would be ideal, agreed. In the meantime, those screws look like they are in some kind of "linear pattern"?
    This is why we need assembly feature based patterns. For now it's either replicate or manually match the part pattern to the feature pattern. How nice would it be to have the screws automatically be updated to match the hole pattern if it were to change?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    How nice would it be to have the screws automatically be updated to match the hole pattern if it were to change?
    It would be very nice.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI