Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Reverse Engineered Lego

david_kurtzdavid_kurtz Member Posts: 24 EDU
edited April 2019 in Educator Discussion
This is the first project in which I give students the freedom to choose their own project.  The goal is to have students each duplicate a Lego piece as well as they can.  I have a large bin of Legos and Duplos from which they can choose the part their will copy.  Along the way I show them how to use Vernier calipers so they can precisely measure their part.  

Every Lego has subtle details in its design.  Much of my time is spent pointing out additional details that students have not yet captured.  Some students can finish the basic shape in an hour or two.  The project is much more engaging if they immerse themselves in project and try to capture the smallest details. 

The final deliverables are a dimensioned drawing of the completed Lego and a rendering made using OneRender.  

Comments

• adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    "Reversed Engineered" 

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Or "compatible"
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    or as my boss would say "I have a new invention I want you to look at"
  • david_kurtzdavid_kurtz Member Posts: 24 EDU
    Thank you for the title suggestions. I think Reverse Engineered is much better than my original title.