Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there a complexity limit to imported dwg files?

dan_rutterdan_rutter Member Posts: 3 EDU
I've imported a dwg of some terrain contours that I'd like to convert into 3D.  I can view the uploaded dwg, but when i insert it into a sketch I just get the spinning circle icon.

Is the data too dense or will it just take a long time to load?

Best Answer

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    Answer ✓
    Yes, way too dense for a single sketch - you should try to break it up into smaller DWGs (in an external program) before importing into multiple sketches. Those sketches could be on different Z heights - though if you are intending to create a surface at the end you may struggle with that also. Not really intended for this purpose.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    Answer ✓
    Yes, way too dense for a single sketch - you should try to break it up into smaller DWGs (in an external program) before importing into multiple sketches. Those sketches could be on different Z heights - though if you are intending to create a surface at the end you may struggle with that also. Not really intended for this purpose.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    dan_rutterdan_rutter Member Posts: 3 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    Thanks for the swift response and confirmation.  I'll try a different approach.
  • Options
    yong_kimyong_kim Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    In my experience, if an element is in a block, it can not be transformed. Therefore, decomposition must be performed before import.