Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Drawing Lines on a Sphere / Loft / Rotation....

andy_mankoandy_manko Member Posts: 9
I am brand new to Onshape, learning how to use this tool to 3d print for my hobby of making model airplanes.   My current project requires several 1/2 spheres with lines on them (these would be glass in real life for a tail gunner...)

I can get the shape no problem done as a loft, or rotation but I am having trouble figuring out how to add the lines on the shape.  

Any thoughts on how I can do this?

Thanks!
Tagged:

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Draw half of the dome. Then revolve around the vertical line.
    If you want it hollow, then offset the arc to be the thickness of the glass. Or use shell after you revolve.

• andy_mankoandy_manko Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the comment, what I am trying to do is get lines on the surface of the sphere, both horizontal and vertical.  

Getting the hollow sphere is step one, how do I add detail to the surface of it.  

Appreciate your help!
    Depends on what you want in the end. There are a handful of methods. Do you want to make metal bands (you mentioned a gunner seat on a plane. I'm imagining WWII bombers)
    That is exactly what I am going for, WWII bomber ball gunner and canopy.  

I would like to get the detail look of metal strips.  

The scale is small and I will paint them eventually.  But I want some scale detail.

Having lots of fun playing and learning with Onshape and 3D printing, but some of these finer points are hard to figure out.

I really appreciate your help
    edited June 2019
    Do a "thicken->new" on the outside of the cannopy.

Then make some planes to represent the outside edges of the strips. Then use "split" to cut the strips.

Take advantage of patterns when you can.
    Then when you have all of your strips. Do a "Delete Part" and remove all the chunks where you don't want metal.
    Then do a "boolean->union" on the rest
    I have done the thicken, and added a about 26 planes to cut across the Sphere.  This is were I am now lost.  I do not understand what I need to split.  When I try to select a section to split, all it does is select the entire surface.  I think I am missing a step here.  

Again, thanks for all of your help, I will eventually figure this out.
    edited June 2019
    yes it will slice the entire surface.
    you will need to split many times.
    like cutting a loaf of bread

then use boolean to glue the pieces back together

this is why patterns will come in handy.
    Ok, now I get it.  Wow, this is a ton of work for such a simple thing!
    Meh, there are probably simpler ways, but this is the easiest to understand, and explain.

The more I think about it, you could try and create your slice plane and sketch an arc on it instead.
    Then sweep your plofile. Instead of thickening and slicing.

try both ways and see what works best for you
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    Will this work? The line sizes can be changed of course but perhaps some variant will work for you...

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b4b57eddb180d17d2e5f5f4b/w/203138b6081dcee9cfd7d2b7/e/276a5ea7dbf0ad6be1d5c1f8
    Larry, that is exactly what I am trying to do!  How did you do this?

Is there a way I can resize it to be 2" diameter?

Thanks very much!
    nO AUDIO aNDY BUT HERE'S A DECENT WAY TO SEE HOW SOMEONE has created a model. Pull back all the features and repeat them one by one. There's a couple features that I abandoned, like the 2 additional planes but a step by step approach might get you there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO6dObdkyyI
    This was all great information!  Here is my current file.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c700458fe9664ca7df3bd189/w/8d8146432e0b2567e86a832c/e/1b56ad45c1ae49ef0c048af2

Still have to figure a couple of things out, but this has been a great learning experience.  

Much more elegant solution. Nice work and thanks for posting...