Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What's the best way to organize documents when I have multiple assemblies from common parts?

Hi,
I developed a product that originated in SW and migrated to OS over the past 3 years. The design has stabilized now, but I'd like to rebuild my assemblies to use them for animation and marketing purposes. Everything is a bit of a mess after all of this time, so I'm going to clean things up (get organized) and I'd like a suggestion of the best way to do this. Right now I have sub-assemblies kind of all over the place.

The product consists of a variety of different enclosures that can be constructed from common parts (panels, tubes, connectors, screws, etc) and some common sub-assys of those parts.  My first inclination is to move all the unique parts into one document and use that as the storage container for them. Then create a second document to build each assembly in a new tab. I haven't done much with using parts from one document in a different document so I'm wondering if there is any advantage to this. Or should I keep it simple and put everything (assemblies and parts) all in one document? 

Any suggestions from someone who has already been down this road are much appreciated!
Wayne
Tagged:

Answers