Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to reference construction lines from other sketches?

bruno_verachtenbruno_verachten Member Posts: 17
Hi,
I made a box, nothing fancy. It may not be the best way to build a box, but that's the way I did.
I created a sketch, a rectangle, some circles for the hosts/screw pillars, and then created another sketch for the walls (I could have gone the "shell" way).
I extruded the base, then the walls, and I now have to design holes in the extruded walls.
The problem I face is that the construction lines that could help me place accordingly these wall holes are on the first sketch (the bottom part).
I tried to add construction lines on a new sketch located on the back of the box (because it somehow "touches" the walls), but no luck, I can't seem to add a constraint on my new (blue) construction lines (in my wall sketch) in relation to my first  (grey) construction lines from the previous sketches.
I guess this should be possible, as I already managed to do it for another box (but at that time, I just did not understand how this could work).
Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited June 2019
    Of course, this is totally doable - should be no different than your previous design. As long as you can see the other sketch you can reference it.

Share your doc if you want somebody to show you.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • bruno_verachtenbruno_verachten Member Posts: 17
  • larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    edited June 2019
    I don't want to over simplify but setting the first sketch to 'show' from 'hide' on your first sketch allows those lines to be referenced from any new sketch...
    Thanks Larry.
    The Part Studio I'm working on is the "Top Box Part".
    Thanks for your tip.
    I can see previous sketches and so construction lines, but I can't seem to be able to put constraint on my new construction lines in relation to the previous ones from the previous sketches.
    I get " Some of the entities could not be used. ".
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @bruno_verachten it’s still not entirely clear what you are trying to do?

i was able to add a coincident constraint to another sketch:

But are you trying to reference a sketch from the bottom part in a different part studio? In that case take a look at the Derived feature or maybe in-context is editing. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Thanks Neil.
    The two sketches are located in the same part studio.
    You managed to do what I can't. I don't know why I get " Some of the entities could not be used. ".
    I will try it again.

Thanks Larry, I think I got it now.