Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Select axis to revolve around

darren_mason871darren_mason871 Member Posts: 35
I'm trying to revolve this shape. I made a construction line but can't select it as an axis.

Best Answer

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Works for me.  In dialog box select Revolve axis and then the geometry.
    www.accuratepattern.com

Answers

• KrzKrz Member, Developers Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    Your curve to revolve must be only on one side of the revolve axis.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Yeah, that will self intersect if you revolve the whole thing.  If you toggle your construction line to solid and then revolve just the larger of the two sketch regions that'll create then I believe you'll get your intended result.
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    edited June 2019
    @darren_mason871

You have a few things going on here.  
    1) as stated above you will need a non-intersecting shape
    2) the solid tools (extrude, sweep, revolve, loft) require a sketch region (closed & shaded)  that means all the curves defining region will need to be on one sketch
    3) you used a 3D spline - that will not work directly for making the sketch region.  You can use a standard sketch spline OR the Use command to transfer the spline to the region sketch

edit:  I should add - revolve is tricky to get all the requirements at first.  It is pretty easy once you practice a few and see how it works.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • darren_mason871darren_mason871 Member Posts: 35
    I've changed files to make sure I have a closed and shaded sketch region.   Also, the construction line I plan to use as the axis isn't intersecting with the sketch region. When using revolve, I can select the sketch but can't select the axis. What am I getting wrong?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b8e70cf05b7b4ca43d5be21f/w/992db960325fad23cf429a8e/e/dd12296e50975a67a33931ae
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Just try using the precision selector (hold down on the screen then drag the crosshairs over the line). 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    edited June 2019

www.accuratepattern.com
    Answer ✓
    Works for me.  In dialog box select Revolve axis and then the geometry.
    www.accuratepattern.com