Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is it possible to "fix" broken sketch offset constraints?

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in Community Support
When 2D curves are created using the Offset function against Use/Intersection curves and a parent curve no longer exists, due to a change made earlier in the history/feature list, the associated Offset constraint is "broken".

(The above partially constrained top most "offset" line of the sketch was associated to a used line which is now an arc.) 

With other types of constraints, ex. coincident, it is possible to repair the broken constraint. I have not found an approach that allows the unassociated "offset" curve to be associated to a new/different parent curve and be united with the curve set offset value. 

The only way I know to correct this situation is to delete all the sketch curves associated with the offset and recreate it anew. Unfortunately, this can have a negative effect causing downstream feature operations to fail because internal ID's of faces and edges can change when the offset curve set is rebuilt.

The 2D offset sketch tool is very useful, but right now its use does not hold up well if the offset curves are built off of Use/Intersection curves. 

Is there a technique to actually repair a broken Offset constraint?   
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been wondering this same thing! Haven't found anything though :neutral:
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    I do not think that is possible, maybe create an improvement request, if it is even feasible. 

I don't recall that being available in any cad software I've use yet, so I don't know if there is some deeper reason because of the profile needing to change between arcs/splines/line segments in the fly may be too much for the 2D sketching kernel. ??

I'm certain you can have a featurescript that creates a sketch based off a profile instead. It still may yield unfavorable results if you were to increase line segments, or turn lines to arcs, and later on in the tree try and build off of them... Soooo... if it is gonna break geometry down the line no matter what... then perhaps it is just easier to delete and re-use the profile and fix the broken links as we do today.