Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Recalculation mass due to change density within Material Library

I have changed/corrected the density of a custom material within my material library. The mass of parts previously assigned to this material has not automatically changed to reflect the new density. I can only force a recalculation by reassigning the material again in every part made of this material (there are a lot of such parts in by document). Is there a way of globally updating the mass calculations through my document so something similar? 

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    I can't think of an automated way, but maybe you can force regeneration of a part studio by editing the first feature.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • simon_ben_bakersimon_ben_baker Member Posts: 3
    Worth a try, but didn't work :(
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    From a conversation with the relevant dev: the material properties are internally copied into the part studio at the time they're applied, so changes to the material library won't propagate.  Like you discovered, the only way to update is to reapply the material to the parts.  Creating an assembly and making the edits in a BOM might speed up the process.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc