Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

No results from Performance check

Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in Community Support

I gave myself a present: a DELL G7 7790 with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 graphic adapter to get Onshape on high speed. After starting Onshape I was curious about the speed and ran the System Check. The result is below:

I checked the refresh rate with www.testufo.com; that gave 60 Hz.

Can anybody help me to get performance results out of the System check?

Henk de Vlaam (NL)

Best Answer

Answers

• brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    Interesting [1], I have seen this performance check failure in Chrome and Edge over the past few days. Firefox, on the other hand,  consistently returns a result. My initial thought was that my computer (an 8 year old Dell desktop installed under my desk) was underperforming because everything in the UK underperforms when the weather gets hot. I was unaware of testufo so gave it a try on all 3 browsers and the result everywhere was 60Hz and 60fps but with a message "PERFORMANCE WARNING - Potential browser stuttering occurred".

[1] I really don't know whether this is interesting or not but it might be useful.
  • Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    @brian_jordan,
    I also get the message "Potential browser stutter occured (1)".

@john_mcclary,
    I did the test with a bare laptop. So, no other apps did run and the power pack was connected. When I look at Windows updates I see some updates with status: waiting for download.
    So I'll wait some days and do the test again. Then I'll be back with you.

Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Yea, I almost took my laptop back to the store in my first week, was only getting 25fps in beatsaber on lowest settings. and they claimed VR Ready.
    I went and tried again after a few weeks now it does 90 fps no problem.

@john_mcclary,

The results arrived after a week of patience.

Henk de Vlaam (NL)
    edited July 2019
    Cool cool, everything running better now then? :)
    @john_mcclary,

Yes and no.
    This afternoon I saw the very satisfying results :). A few minutes ago I did the test again and then he failed :(
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
     :s 
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    edited August 2019
    I may have found a workaround for everyone who gets the "60 frames per second" warning!
    Reduce the window size of your browser and try again!

• brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    I may have found a workaround for everyone who gets the "60 frames per second" warning!
    Reduce the window size of your browser and try again!

Or.... something has changed somewhere. I thought I would try this but first did the test in a full screen window and, after several weeks of  getting the warning, I got a report showing significant frames and lines per second. Interestingly reducing the window size gave slightly better numbers so your tip has merit.
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    The old workstation I have always gives me the warning with firefox in fullscreen.
    If I reduce the window size, the perfomance test runs and I get 278 million triangles.

I just noticed: If I have the browser on my Main Display it also works in fullscreen! :o
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    The old workstation I have always gives me the warning with firefox in fullscreen.
    If I reduce the window size, the perfomance test runs and I get 278 million triangles.

I just noticed: If I have the browser on my Main Display it also works in fullscreen! :o
    Is the display that causes a problem a higher resolution display than the main one? More pixels = more problems?
    There can be many factors involved, but typically resolution is the biggest killer. If you are running a 4K monitor then you are already stressing your card in normal situations. Or running more than one monitor can cause the same stress.

Your GPU will give scale performance differently with full screen / full screen windowed / and windows mode also. So it would make sense that you will get different results based on window state.

I do believe even the cable connections can make a difference.
    For example: if you use a DisplayPort -> DVI adapter it will not be as good as a DisplayPort -> DVI Cable.

Notes on multi-monitor:
    - if you open and run a program on the "Main" monitor (You can tell it is the main monitor if you have the notification panel and background apps by the clock in windows) it will get significantly more GPU power than your secondary monitor. (This is for all apps, even excel and outlook etc.)

- if you are feeding your video output through a docking station, the quality of the dock and what port you use can have a massive impact as well. (In my case I have the worst of both worlds above on my work setup. I need to unplug the docking station, open chrome, log into Onshape, then I can plug my docking station back in. Otherwise it uses the Intel chip and is noticeably slow.) This does not happen with all docks, the guy behind me has a cheap monitor (usb->2x HDMI) feeding (2) 2k monitors, and it will allow the correct GPU to run chrome every time.

So, basically the 2LDR is : you will need to troubleshoot your unique set-up, one piece at a time :/

Now when I check the performance, it will be around 830 mill and 630 mil even with the station plugged in.