Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

sketch could not be solved then defining a dimension

I can resize sketch freely, but then I tried to set a dimension it fails. any thoughts on why it's happening?

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi and welcome to the forum.  Is that just an example or is it the geometry you're actually need?  If it is what you want then the same thing can be achieved with just three center point rectangles.  This is a lot less for the sketch solver to have to deal with and it seems to resize just fine.

Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • darius_vozbutasdarius_vozbutas Member Posts: 3
    the reason I have posted a message is that I thought this method should work and could not see why solver suddenly stopped solving the sketch. it's either bug in solver or I did something wrong.

the thing I try to do here is to quickly get a rectangle with same size walls all around (overlapping at corners) and specifying only one dimension for wall thickness. just thought that method should save some clicks and unnecessary construction lines.

other methods that work but needs more clicking

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Interesting - when I did same as OP first example - the sketch turns red while typing the dimension but then solves after hitting enter.  

That is a LOT of extra constraints though...
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @darius_vozbutas

I’ve been there and done that. Seems like everything was done perfect. But for some reason, it’s over constrained. What I found, is that at times, it’s just a matter of deleting one element.

So I randomly selected the small horizontal line in the upper left, and deleted it, and that fixed it

You were looking for the least amount of clicks, but if you could do with one small extra step, then this should do.

• darius_vozbutasdarius_vozbutas Member Posts: 3
    Interesting trick. Not sure why but it seems to work. Thanks.