Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Editing a part after it's been scaled-up

Hi all, I need to edit a part after transformation and I have no idea how to go about doing it. 

I enlarged a part using the scale function in the transform menu. It was my hope that by scaling/enlarging the part, the sketches will update to show the parameters of the new enlarged part. This however didn't happen. Instead, even though the part has been enlarged, the sketches/parameters that I can edit are that of the previous/smaller/original part. For me to be able to continue with the design of this part, I need to be able to edit the enlarged/updated sketches of the scaled up part. 

Is there any way I can go about doing this?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
    The feature tree is a history of operations so when you are editing the original features you are going back in history that defines the creation of that part.  Essentially reverting the model back before you ever executed the scale operation.
  • christian_campbellchristian_campbell Member Posts: 3
    Here's the thing, I'm not trying to edit the "original" features of the part pre-scale operation. What I'm trying to do is edit the new features of the part post-scale operation. 

I don't know if what I'm saying makes sense. 
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
    I understand what you are saying, but the only reason those "new" features exist is because of the scale operation in combination with the original features.  A parametric model is based upon history so when it does the scale operation it is not changing the sketches that originally created the geometry; it is purely scaling the model up.  You can essentially create the new sketches by selecting the plane and then using the scaled up geometries edges.

Depending on what you are attempting to edit you can use the direct modeling features to make the changes.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @christian_campbell after scaling, the features don't really exist anymore, it's just a solid body. Their definitions exist before the scale feature.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @christian_campbell

IN THIS ORDER, you want to 

1. Scale up a part made from a sketch(s)
    2. And latter, Edit that same sketch(s), that now has dimensions that match the scaled up part

You asked — 

Is there ANY WAY I can go about doing this?

————————

The following might be the ticket.

In this first GIF, we do two things.

1. We scale up the part
    2. We take a SINGLE measurement on the scaled up part

So we have a part that has been scaled along all three axes. Afterward, we want to edit a sketch of this part, that sketch being made along the X and Y axes. In order to make this work, we’re TEMPORARILY going to remove any scaling along the X and Y axes.

To do this —

1. Go into EDIT of the Transform
    2. Turn OFF Scale Uniformly 
    3. Apply the scaling factor to the Z axis only. This factor should be the same as you previously applied to all three axes

In the last GIF, I EDIT the sketch —

1. I delete all dimensions. If you have any projected or fix constraints within this sketch, these will have to be removed also.
    2. I scaled up the sketch so that it reflects the dimensions of the scaled up part. I did this by using the dimension tool to apply that one measurement I took off of the scaled up part. In applying this one measurement, you scale the entire sketch, and THE PART along the X and Y axes. As a result, there is no need to go back into transform. In other words, you can leave the scaling for the X and the Y axes, under transform, at a factor of 1, as we scaled the X and Y axes in this sketch, and as a result, in the part also.
    3. I also used the dimension tool to place scaled up dimensions on other elements in the sketch. In this step, I DID NOT key in any new dimensions on these other line segments, arc, or circle . I just tapped a line, arc, or circle, and then accepted whatever dimension was showing. 

At this point, you have a fully constrained sketch that has the same dimensions as your scaled up part. Change any of these dimensions now, and your part will change JUST THE SAME

Total up all three GIF’s, and it’s just a little over one minute to do everything

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    @christian_campbell

In essence, what is being done in the above post is, that you are removing some of the scaling from the Transform Feature, and putting that particular part of the scaling into the Sketch. So you are MOVING a particular part of the scaling from Transform to Sketch