Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Help: Flipping Drawing View of a Sketch

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
I was doing some layout sketches in 3D on a plane different from the global XY (Top) plane.

When I create a drawing of the sketch to specify just the key dimensions and add some notes the view of the sketch in the drawing is flipped (a mirror) of what I want it to be...

When creating a view of a sketch the select view origination is greyed out and subsequent add views by projection is non-functional.

Is there anyway I can get the resultant view in the drawing to display the view orientation I want?

Best Answer

Answers

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Can you edit the sketch and just select a different sketch plane?
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,353
    Views of a sketch only show the +ve side of the plane it is sketched on, so it doesn't matter which plane it is on. If you show a sketch on a model view, it can be in any orientation.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Indeed :+1:

Depending on what you've got to reference you can have the plane face whichever way you want:-

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    @NeilCooke suggestion to include a 3D part (a cube) in the Part Studio that contains the sketches is a good solution/workaround.

A view can be built using the 3D cube part to control the view's orientation and the individual sketches can be "shown". I have various sketches created on the same 3D plane (poor man's layer capability) and Neil's suggestion makes it possible to turn the "visibility" of "layers" in the drawing view. 

Thank you Neil.