Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How can I make an array of points created by a for loop in featurescript?

emory_krallemory_krall Member Posts: 15 PRO
edited September 2019 in Community Support
for (var i = 0; i < numberOfDowels; i += 1)
        {
            opPoint(context, id + ("locationPoint" ~ i), {
                        "point" : toWorld(cSys, vector((fenceDistance + (dowelSpacing * i)), 0 * inch, 0 * inch))
                    });
        }
        var locationPoints is array = evaluateQuery(context, qCreatedBy(id + ("locationPoint" ~ i), EntityType.BODY));

This gives me an error that the variable "i" is not found. If place the variable declaration within the for loop I can't reference it outside the loop, which is what I need to do.

Best Answers

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,354
    i does not exist once outside the curly braces of the for loop. There are a number of ways you can do this, but it all depends on the rest of the script.

This is the most elegant way but may fall down if you have other similar loops in your code (due to id hierarchy):
    for (var i = 0; i < numberOfDowels; i += 1)
    {
        opPoint(context, id + i + "locationPoint", {                        
            "point" : toWorld(cSys, vector((fenceDistance + (dowelSpacing * i)), 0 * inch, 0 * inch))
        });
    }

var locationPoints is array = evaluateQuery(context, qCreatedBy(id + ANY_ID + "locationPoint", EntityType.BODY));
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • emory_krallemory_krall Member Posts: 15 PRO
    Is "ANY_ID" meant to be used literally? When I try this I get the error "Typecheck canBeId failed"
    Yes, ANY_ID is a wildcard. Make sure it is spelled out exactly as above. I think you may be safer using the second method.
    Id hierarchy is a little difficult to follow: https://cad.onshape.com/FsDoc/library.html#Id
    Thanks Neil, your second suggestion appears to work for me!
    There is a typo in the code: "EntityType.Body" should be "EntityType.BODY"
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, sorry - I hand-typed it from memory. I've edited the post above for anybody else that might copy it.