Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

A metal selector

Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

For easy selection of materials I have applied a classification for metals in my Dutch list of materials. This allows you to apply an extra filtering per metal type. To be able to use the filtering, the categories have a '-' as prefix. If you type “-m” in the search fileld, all metals will appear now. If you want to filter aluminum, enter "-ma". All other categories have the prefix and can have an exta classification if wished.

Is this the only way or has someone maybe even a better idea?

Henk de Vlaam (NL)
Tagged:

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I find the same problem here, Category is pretty much unless ATM.  I have multiple material libraries (which are divived into categories) and I was just thinking yesterday about trying to combine them to 1 reducing clicks when selecting materials but really need the category to work properly before making this change. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977