Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Temporarily fasten a mate

Patxi_LZPatxi_LZ Member Posts: 9 EDU
Hello,

If in an assembly there are multiple revolutes, it is hard to change the orientation of a specific revolute without modifying the others.
I was wondering what was the workflow to temporarily fix a mate in its current position.
For the moment I use the edit interface to change it to "fastened" mate, and when I don't need it to be fixed anymore,
I change it back to the original mate. It seems that the limits recorded prior to this procedure are kept in memory.

Is there a more efficient way to do that ?

Comments

• Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 235
    Hello @Patxi_LZ Can you post a link to a public Document so we can take a closer look? Thank you in advance!
  • Options
    For example, in the following assembly:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b0831b88b3a9bb6ab6f54594/w/018607958920631f7c978582/e/40cb0f4bad821c2dd8dbb401

If we start from the configuration in which revolute1 and revolute2 are at 0°.
    If we change revolute2 to 40° and then back to 0°, revolute1 takes the value 320°.
    I would like revolute1 to remain equal to 0°.

The only solution I found is to edit revolute1 and change it to be a fastened
    until the moment I need to change it's orientation.
  • Options
    I just realized that my solution to change a revolute to fasten does not work, we lose the current orientation of the revolute.
    I have no idea why I thought it worked.

Hence, I still need to find a solution to fix temporarily a mate.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited October 2019
    Can you add an additional fasten mate and then suppress it after use?
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    edited October 2019
    If you group the two parts together and suppress the revolute that will work. You will then have to suppress the group and unsuppress the revolute to get it back. You could do it with configurations.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI