Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there an easier way to use mates for rigid parts in an assembly?

burhopburhop Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
I've got several parts in an assembly that will be welded together.  So, in the assembly, I want them to move as one piece.

The parts were created in the same studio so are already in the right location. The fasten mate works in some cases but I have a lot of problems when Onshape doesn't find any common mate points.  I can go back and define them but that is work too.

I tried bring them into their own assembly, them marking them all as "fixed" then bringing in the sub-assembly.  However, the parts in the sub-assembly move around independent of each other.

Is there some other way to say "I want this part to stay fixed to this other part" without so much effort?

Best Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Answer ✓
    The only problem is if you create later more parts into that part studio, they don't automatically exist in assembly. The main problem is not the extra work in assembly (you only need to add the parts and group them) but the fact that you will have two different 'versions' to manage.

I would like to see such feature that if complete part studio is added to assembly, it would always be up-to-date with that certain part studio (maybe add checkbox for this). There is another thread for this and I'm still on testing phase on this, there was also some conversation if part studio and assembly could be just one.. tempting idea indeed..
    //rami

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you make the model public and post a link here? The parts in your sub-assembly should not move independently once they are "fixed", but it's hard to know what the problem might be without investigating the model.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Answer ✓
    The only problem is if you create later more parts into that part studio, they don't automatically exist in assembly. The main problem is not the extra work in assembly (you only need to add the parts and group them) but the fact that you will have two different 'versions' to manage.

I would like to see such feature that if complete part studio is added to assembly, it would always be up-to-date with that certain part studio (maybe add checkbox for this). There is another thread for this and I'm still on testing phase on this, there was also some conversation if part studio and assembly could be just one.. tempting idea indeed..
    //rami
  • Options
    raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    edited May 2015
    @3dcad If you frequently find that all parts of a part studio need to be available everywhere when one of the occur. A easy workaround is to make a part studio PS1  and another assembly A1 which contains currents parts of PS1 and use A1 everywhere. This way when you add remove parts from PS1 you only have to update A1 and all other assemblies update automatically.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @3dcad If you frequently find that all parts of a part studio need to be available everywhere when (that) one of the(m) occur(s): A(n) easy workaround is to make a part studio PS1  and another assembly A1 which contains currents parts of PS1 and use A1 everywhere. This way when you add remove parts from PS1 you only have to update A1 and all other assemblies update automatically.
    Bravo - this sort of insight needs to go in a "Hints & Tips" file
  • Options
    burhopburhop Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    @andrew_troup  @ptrajkumar  @3dcad  Excelent!!!  This will work, plus I learned a bit of extra knowledge!   B)