Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What am I doing wrong in Loft?

ProblemSolverProblemSolver Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
Hi, I don't have much experience with the Loft command, although I am a relatively fast learner, sure I have done the simple stuff like going from a square to a circle without problems. However I want the Loft command to follow a shape at the bottom of the Hull, that requires me to select several edges for the starting shape before selecting the end edge, holding down the shift key does not help me to select more than one edge. 

Please take a look at the sketch that I am working on, it's a rear Hull section of a model Boat. 
View the sketch here        https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5441d2953ef57fa04d31c33b/w/2cb20a3c907e0e3762e5dd1f/e/d95eb855c598a9ea89fbf542  

The bulkhead at the bottom of the Hull is where the problem is, as you can see from what I have done, the Loft does not follow the outer edge of the large curved part of the Hull. I think the problem is that I am not selecting something like a Guide or Path? Could someone please point me in the right direction, I'm sure it is something simple. Thanks in advance.
Tagged:

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Selection techniques are discussed here: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/loft.htm?Highlight=Loft

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • ProblemSolverProblemSolver Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    NeilCooke, thanks for the reply, but I am asking for some assistance, can you please do the change for me (so that I have an example to help me understand), or tell me what to change (is it a Profile, or a Guide or a Path issue), as I find the documentation unhelpful on this occasion. The video in the Loft documentation does not cover this problem that I am struggling with.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    You can add guide curves (using the selection techniques above) to drive the shape - however, you can't use the edges of Part 1 because they do not intersect (touch) the profiles at both ends of your loft. Also, if you are using a solid loft, the guides need to terminate at the profiles (they cannot overshoot). Zoom in here to see the mismatch:

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • ProblemSolverProblemSolver Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Now I see what the problem is, thanks Neil for pointing that out to me, it is very much appreciated.