Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How can I tell if an entity has any dependents?

laird_broadfieldlaird_broadfield Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
More specifically, I just rethought my layout on a part, and moved several sketches that had previously been on Plane 3 (offset) to use Top as their sketch plane.  Much more sensible, once I had thought it through -- but now I have Plane 3 still in my workspace.

I'd like to delete it -- but other than deleting it and looking for weird changes or red rows, how can I tell if anything is based on or attached to Plane 3?

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given how robust Onshape is in terms of undo and autosave, it may be that deletion and looking for red ink ends up being the best diagnostic we could wish for.

Other packages which equate quantity (of features) with quality (of UX) quickly bloat to the point where many users are drowning in unused or poorly understood functionality. Even the fanciest "parent child" reporting has limitations, and there are situations (mainly to do with incidentally inferred constraints to entities further the tree) where "delete with the intention of undo" is the gold standard diagnostic - so perhaps there's not too much wrong with using it all the time, and getting familiar with it.

Nevertheless, "parent child" reporting can be very helpful when getting to grips with how to build a robust model, so I cannot pretend that nothing is lost by omitting it. 
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    billy said:

Here's the dialog I miss the most:

This works on sketch dependencies. Above shows all relations (dependencies or references) outside the sketch. Also, and the most useful, is to toggle to "Dangling" and delete them all. Then make the blue sketch entities black again. It's really fast. I wish OS had this one.

Amen, brother , aka +1