Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

how to configure color of part in assembly

Is it possible to have two instances of the same part with different colors in an assembly?

Best Answer

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited December 2019
    Yes, you will need to add the appearance property in the config pannel

• mike_gibson022mike_gibson022 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for the answer John, but I was able to get that far earlier.  That just seems to allow me to set the part color to only one color - all parts are colored the same.  I want two different colors on two different instances of the same part in an assembly.  In the assembly, I cant find anything that allows me to do this.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited December 2019
    After reading this again I notice you only say instace of a part.

Instances of the same part cannot have unique metadata.

If you have at least 1 configuration parameter, then each configuration is concidered a unique part. Then you can change the metadata for that part (config)

For instace, add a checkbox config and call it transparent.

Insert your part twice. Change the second instance to be checked.

In the bom, add the appearance column and change the value of one of them to be transparent.
  • mike_gibson022mike_gibson022 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks John.  The BOM column did the trick.