Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Flatten a sheet metal cone shape

Everything I see is strict cylinder. Does anyone have a work around to be able to produce a sheet metal flat pattern?

Answers

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    I have done it a few times using step bends. That does not produce a true round but it has produced some nice cones that work in my applications. If you need to have a rolled cone and dimensions are critical then that will not work and I have not found a workaround yet. 
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    The FeatureScript General Cone Unfold works well: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0bb13c1b6ed6d4a6dd75cf99/v/54a1492241fd6e87c631683f/e/f0e6783ee0f9a81dab9e0dab

Go to that document, and click the + Custom Features button:

Then you can use the custom FeatureScript in your document. There is an example of how to use it in one of the Part Studios.

Once you have a flat sketch of the unfolded cone (which the FeatureScript will produce) you can then use Sheet Metal tools to make it a flat pattern. You don't get the typical Sheet Metal ability to fold / unfold etc, but you can at least get a Sheet Metal part that is a Flat Pattern of your conical shape.