Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is 'Create Selection' inactive on In-context geometry?

bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
edited January 2020 in General
I want to confirm before I put in an IR.

I am looking for this when designing fixtures using huge import model as a 'Master Model'.   I want to avoid copying the part into part studio. 
www.accuratepattern.com

Best Answer

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    Answer ✓
    That is correct. Create Selection does not work for context selections. As a work-around you can make a copy of context body which would become local for that part studio context. Then you can use create selection. Please file the IR.

Answers

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO

www.accuratepattern.com
  • lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    Answer ✓
    That is correct. Create Selection does not work for context selections. As a work-around you can make a copy of context body which would become local for that part studio context. Then you can use create selection. Please file the IR.

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Thanks Bruce for putting in the IR. 
    The selection in Context mode is really hard to use. You also can't use the "~" (select other), I don't think.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @romeograham

I added the 'select other' to the IR.  Thanks for pointing that out; I had noticed that too and it will be very helpful to get both selection tools.  Please vote on the Improvement Request here.
    www.accuratepattern.com