Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Automation for assemblies

brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
Hi all,

One of my company's products is a modular roof-edge solar installation. For each project, we line the roof (flat roof, think top of an apartment building) with our solar units using a small handful of configured parts. First, the base unit assembly is defined by things like solar panel size and angle of installation. Then this unit is replicated to fill the roof edges and corner units are added. The goal is to semi-automate this process using FeatureScript, but we're struggling to figure out a way to do this without using assemblies. Derived parts might work, but it would be a shame to lose the clear hierarchy of assemblies.

So, is there any way FeatureScript can be used with assemblies? Or is there any equivalent script/automation tool for assemblies? Will there ever be?

Cheers,
Brooke

Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG

Best Answers

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    No, Feature Scripts are limited to Part Studios only.

"Will there ever be?" I hope so. Until then all we can to is upvote and create improvement requests.
    Vote here: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9663/featurescript-for-assembly
  • brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Thanks y'all. Upvote added.

I did not know about the Assembly API. Where can I learn more?
  • brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Hi Jake, thanks for the info! I'll be checking into it :) Cheers