Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

The voting system is non anonymous and biased

rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
First of all I believe in transparency, I do also believe that voting should be anonymous to I was baffled to receive this mail:

owen_sparks answered your question: How to create a 3D model from orthogonal projection (Orthographic projection) ?

Curious about the down vote?

Interrestingly the downvote has been removed (not my me).

To answer the question why I downvoted was because I upvoted the most relevant answers and the downvoted answer was because it responded on something different from the original question (which was conditioned by 2d sketch that should drive the rest of the design. Copying pasting does not keep the constraints to the original sketch

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Answer ✓
    To clear up the confusion here:

@rune_thorsen229

Voting is anonymous.  You received an email because Owen saw he had a downvote and commented on your thread with the text "Curious about the downvote".  You received that email because someone commented on the thread that you started, not because Owen was sending you some message specifically.  The email was just pointing out that your thread had a new comment on it.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team

Answers

• rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    P.S. Copy paste betrayed me here: The message I received was "owen_sparks answered your question: How to create a 3D model from orthogonal projection (Orthographic projection) ?
    Curious about the down vote?"
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited February 2020
    Hi, I'm the Owen Sparks in question.  Feel free to contact me if you wish.
    Each forum is a little different in its etiquette.  Questions that have been tagged as "accepted answers" or even up-voted posts will automatically percolate to the top of a thread.
    Here a down vote is seen one rung below reporting something for say abuse.  As such when someone has given up their time, especially when within their working day, it can come across as somewhat ungrateful to go about down voting them.  (In this instance I believe a moderator removed the vote.) 
    I was asking for clarification as to why it was down-voted.  (The previous instance was just someone clicking the wrong button.)  This time perhaps I'd offended someone or my answer lacked detail?  If I don't ask why what am I supposed to do differently next time?  So I could have said that with a couple of extra clicks you could constrain the 2nd sketch to the first but I was rushing to give a presentation.
    Could you elaborate on your "non anonymous and biased" and "betrayed" comment.  I certainly couldn't see that it was you that had given the down-vote, otherwise I'd have directed the question to you, not to everyone.   Also unclear on the biased aspect?
    Sorry if this has caused any grief, I don't really know what to say.
    Regards,
    Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Answer ✓
    To clear up the confusion here:

@rune_thorsen229

Voting is anonymous.  You received an email because Owen saw he had a downvote and commented on your thread with the text "Curious about the downvote".  You received that email because someone commented on the thread that you started, not because Owen was sending you some message specifically.  The email was just pointing out that your thread had a new comment on it.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Jake,
    1.  I noticed that the "Curious about the down vote?" message is not there in https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/60280#Comment_60280 so I assumed it was a direct message to me.
    2. I notice that all downvotes have been removed hence 'biased'. 
    3. However I don't really want to make a fuss here about this, as said I believe in transparency but I think it's unethical to remove someones downvote. And Ill stop here.

Owen,
    1. I appreciate your time to respond to my questions and notice that I actually upvoted your first question. Then I downvoted your second question, not to offend you (sorry if I did) but to give you feedback that it was not really adding anything and that maybe you didn't read carefully the original question plus clarifications. 

2.  re "Each forum is a little different in its etiquette" that sounds interesting/worrying. I tagged your best answer as "accepted answer"

3. re  " I could have said that with a couple of extra clicks you could constrain the 2nd sketch to the first ". .. I am very intersted in how it can be don on orthogonal sketches, and would have added value. (If you have time please do it in the pertinent thread)

4. re "  elaborate on your "non anonymous and biased"    "   I think removing downvotes is non democratic and non justified. In the case you "offended someone" I think I would have used  Flag and not downvote. If a system encourage up/down voting please accept it or enable only the upvote button  ......  :-)      

5.  re. "betrayed"  - was the change of format that copy-paste did to my formatting. I discovered that I could not edit the first post, like I can edit subsequent comments. I simply forgot the quotes. 

Thank you all for your time. 

Hi john_mcclary ,   I just downvoted your comment as it's not very pertinent to my original post questioning the objectivity/anonymity of the voting system and that I had allready accepted Jakes answer and upvoted it (thanks Jake). If you are moderator and can give facts on the subject It would have been an upvote from my part but it appears as if you didn't read the thread. 

Re: "person who voted felt guilty after realizing it" I downvoted one by Owen and upvoted another, and dont see that I harm anybody. 
    Maybe its a cookie thing but as I said: the downvote was not there when I checked ( the reason why I started the thread) strangely its there now.
    Notice that the question quoted is not there either. I guess that Owen probably removed it and that explains the whole thing. And we are all happy. Notice that I downvoted your question not Flagging it which I assume is there for reporting language like "complete ..." . 
    Finally re "Better etiquette in my humble opinion is to follow up a down vote with a short message as to why".  As this post should preferrably have been a private message to you to explain my downvoting, but I don't know how to do that. So maybe you can tell me? Furthermore I invite you to downvote this comment (to maintain ) as this post is completely off track with the original topic :-)

As you can see if one has to explain voting the whole thing becomes cluttered, so if you don't like that people vote down then raise "an improvement request" to eliminate the system. ;-)
    Actually I didn't want to waste more time on this subject so  have a nice one everybody.

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Thank you for your reasoning Happy Onshaping!