Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Wood grain texture Custom Feature

TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
edited February 2020 in FeatureScript
Often when modeling furniture and other objects created from wood I want to communicate the orientation of the wood grain on a part. This eliminates confusion when creating the parts in the workshop. To solve this I created a Wood grain texture custom feature! This low resolution feature is intended to demonstrate the overall grain direction without degrading performance with too much detail. 

Add to your toolbar here:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f5cd9f4b2ec8e9eea7266f1e/v/59e3340e9e7ef9d664172a84/e/595af5842cd8801d37dc3da5
Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
Onshape, Inc.

Comments

• Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    Thank you!
    Wood Grain feedback:

This is probably the most well made custom feature I have used.

I only ran into a few issues.
    The grain "sketch"  was not large enough for large parts and would only put grain on a portion of the part. - (Consider having the sketch stretch to fit the selected part)
    The grain was not dense enough to see easily on small parts. - (Consider adding the option to have more or less dense grain)

Again, very nice feature!
  • david_mcmahondavid_mcmahon Member Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the stretch comment. Changing the density of the grain pattern would be an awesome enhancement. Also, a few instructions regarding locating the origin would be helpful.
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    @cache_river_millworks Thank you for the feedback! Which grain pattern are you using that is not large enough? You should be able to use a Linear feature pattern with Apply per instance on for larger pars. A screenshot of the use case would be great.

@david_mcmahon Thanks I will add some info on setting the origin in the FS doc.
    Onshape, Inc.
    This is would be one example, but being in the wood industry, it will be most helpful if we can apply the grain to almost any size of material. We use very long boards, and very tiny boards as well. It is hard to use this unless it is a specific size of material.

I was attempting to use the feature to show that there will be grain on these portions of the cabinet when viewed from the side for architectural drawings. The grain was not large enough to fit on all of the portions. I tried using the linear pattern and switching the grain up, but it would not come out quite right. I think being able to select how close together the grain is and to be able to pick any size of part, will be useful.

@cache_river_millworks
    Great, thank you for the example! In this case I would imagine you would need to apply an individual feature for each major part. Then you can use a Feature linear pattern with Apply per instance workflow that I mentioned above. You can control the interval between pattern instances to get a repeating end grain across the given part. The trick here is to offset the origin so only a portion of the grain pattern fits on the part:

I also can see the need to control the overall scale of the pattern. I will work towards adding this in the future!
    Onshape, Inc.
    Great work! We appreciate it. 
    Legit! We will be using this for our production drawings.

Thank you!
    edited September 2020
    Excellent work!
  • Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Brilliant. Thank you.
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    edited September 2020
    Tried it out today. It's so user friendly now, nice work!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • harry_rawlinsharry_rawlins Member Posts: 3 EDU
    how do u use it

@harry_rawlins
     First you can add it to your toolbar:

and then apply it to entire parts:

Onshape, Inc.
  • ryan_mcgoldrick47ryan_mcgoldrick47 Member Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
    Just used this today for some fun to improve the look in the workspace.

If anyone needs a 3D printable Desktop monitor stand/riser quick and dirty model, but should work fine.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8f1c02b49f744604f6da68c5/w/e1a6bb0fb9cf01d0a2238898/e/a9cca57a6d711aaac1ae0b3e