Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Hello Onshapers I am struggling to build a simulation model of a link type steam engine valve gear

gill_tetleygill_tetley Member Posts: 2
I come from an engineering back ground but not CAD  I am building a 1/6th scale model Ploughing engine &  to date I have used Onshape to produce 3D metal parts and 2 D cut outs
Making the mechanism link has escaped me
I am really a dabbler in the public domain  Gill Tetley   model is called valve events
Although I have watched Neil Cooke numerous times         I am miles away from sorting this  keen to discuss any help greatly appreciated
regards g 

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi and welcome.  We'd need a bit more to go on to be able to offer any real suggestions.

The best way is usually to post a link to the file onshape document you've hit a roadblock on, and maybe add a rough as you like back of napkin sketch of what you're after.  A picture speaks a thousand works here.

Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    gill_tetleygill_tetley Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Owen Appreciate your interest 
    I am not certain how to post
    The design is basically a slider crank  the rod has an offset that rides in a curved link that can pivots to change orientation the end drives a link connected to a bell crank which drives another link to the valve.  now to fins a link 
    regards g
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi.

Sure thing, we're a friendly bunch :+1:
    Blurb about posting for help can be found here:-
    Sorry, I should have included that link last time. :(
    Cheers,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd